Bought 18 Raptor w/ Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
Yes, you could purchase and install a new PCM, you would just need IDS to get it programmed. If you do that, be sure to NOT connect IDS before the new (blank) PCM is installed otherwise IDS may recognize the VIN and corrupt the new PCM.

I think your best bet is to find an aftermarket shop or individual that has IDS and attempt to overwrite the current calibration. Shouldn’t cost more than $100 in labor time.
Very new to the whole tune thing--what is an IDS?

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another day of talking with Ford motor company as the dealership and I are not on speaking terms. They are unaware of the service bulletin that you mentioned and are suggesting I take it to Five Star tuning in South Carolina. I'm in Missouri and really don't feel like it's my issue to resolve. Any chance I can buy a PCM and do it myself. If this truck has to go back to the dealership I purchased it from...

here ya go,

but there are AYA and AYB computers so you probably want to find one that matches the exact month of the year your truck was produced. Good Luck.

Not sure if the ECUs they use are coded to the truck so it could be an issue.

Last edited:

19magnetic

Reaction score
Good luck resolving your issue - the dealer you purchased from should do the right thing. Keep us posted. I’m having a similar issue with my 19 that I bought as a CPO at an out of town Ford dealer. Took it in to my local Ford for start up rattle and wet floor boards. They wanted to do the cam phaser reprogram first. Then they informed me the truck has a Roush tune and after 3-weeks of talking to FOMO, they finally told me I needed to find a Roush authorized dealer. Fortunately we have one not too far away.

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
Good luck resolving your issue - the dealer you purchased from should do the right thing. Keep us posted. I’m having a similar issue with my 19 that I bought as a CPO at an out of town Ford dealer. Took it in to my local Ford for start up rattle and wet floor boards. They wanted to do the cam phaser reprogram first. Then they informed me the truck has a Roush tune and after 3-weeks of talking to FOMO, they finally told me I needed to find a Roush authorized dealer. Fortunately we have one not too far away.
Sorry to hear that about your truck but glad you know the tune at least. Sadly mine will be for sale soon

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your dealer can look up the warranty history previously by the vin, the dealership could contact the owner that way, not sure what the privacy issues are with that though, but there is a paper trail, period.
I would take the VIN number and call MPT / 5star/ goose tuned / etc and find out who own the truck VIN for programming…. Or the SCT tuner can build a stock tune from their database if you buy one and a tune….

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only help by mentioning that it’s not a Cobb tune. The recall can be performed with an Accessport installed.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sold my 2018 Raptor with an MPT tune in April to a local dealer in Houston who bought it for more than I paid for it new. I gave the dealer my tuner with all three tunes and the factory tune loaded on it. I sure hope they passed it on to the new owner.

As others have stated, if you call the common Raptor tuners with your VIN, they require the factory tune when you order new tunes, so they should be able to locate yours in their files. You will need to buy a physical tuner, but they should give your your factory tune for free and they might even include the tunes that were originally bought for your truck.

I confirmed you did not buy my truck by checking the VIN posted previously against mine, as I still have my factory tune stored on my computer. :(

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sold my 2018 Raptor with an MPT tune in April to a local dealer in Houston who bought it for more than I paid for it new. I gave the dealer my tuner with all three tunes and the factory tune loaded on it. I sure hope they passed it on to the new owner.

As others have stated, if you call the common Raptor tuners with your VIN, they require the factory tune when you order new tunes, so they should be able to locate yours in their files. You will need to buy a physical tuner, but they should give your your factory tune for free and they might even include the tunes that were originally bought for your truck.

I confirmed you did not buy my truck by checking the VIN posted previously against mine, as I still have my factory tune stored on my computer. :(

You sold your 18 so all you have now is a Gen 1?

Carvana just offered more than I paid for mine in April of 2020, if I could replace it for a deal on a new Gen 3, I would go that route. Paying MSRP for trucks, cars, or whatever is not in my want to do list.

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
I must say you all are fantastic at helping a rookie. I have called 5 star as that is what FOMOCO suggested. I'll call MPT and goosetuned as well. How many other options am I missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc