Body damage from bungee/rope tie downs- how much ya think??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to jump on the band wagon, but how is this a Ford issue? The aluminum holds up great. Service trucks in the SD segment are doing very well. Due to your accidental mishap, caused by lack of securing a load properly, Ford now has a substandard issues with all their trucks?

Again, not to bash, and I do feel for your misfortune, but to blame any of this on Ford is a stretch at the very least.

Sam
Sarcasm at its finest

D

Deleted member 12951

Most HD work trucks that I see are beaten up with scratches and varies other damaging things that happens when working out in the field. And they don’t care, its a work truck as it will continue to happen.

Think you bought the wrong truck or you need to change your mindset.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This sucks man, I'm sorry!
Do yourself and your body shop a favor and don't seal any body panels that may require bodywork/paint with wax following any paint correction you do. The way I understand it, the wax will need to be stripped before new paint can be applied anyways.

Any shop worth their weight will strip the panel prior to painting. It is basic paint prep. Not that all shops can be considered competent, but that's pretty fundamental.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man...sorry. Total bummer.

But take that cord/rope or nylon/cotton blend and tie it to a tree. Then grab it with your hand, and run it back and forth a few inches for 4-5 hours. your hand will be burnt down to raw bone.

Friction is bad...no matter how soft you think something is.

Rule #1...nothing ever touches the paint when you tie down a load.

Every other rule refers to rule #1.

^^ 100% this

OP, it really sucks your truck was damaged, and hopefully it's fixed quickly and without excessive expense.

But honestly, that's exactly what I would expect to happen in that scenario. 300-400 miles; So that's probably five hours @ 70mph (assuming 350 miles). Let's also assume the vibration of the bungee cord is 15hz, you're looking at 270,000 agitations. Would steel (instead of aluminum) have held up better? Possibly, but that's still going to eat through your clear coat, paint, and into the bare metal. There's simply no protecting against that scenario.

Like I said, it sucks and I genuinely feel bad for that happening to a new Rap. But the load wasn't properly secured -- Hard to put any blame on the vehicle manufacturer for that.

Also, bungee cords are used to tie down patio furniture covers. Ratchet straps are for cargo. My $0.02.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^ 100% this

OP, it really sucks your truck was damaged, and hopefully it's fixed quickly and without excessive expense.

But honestly, that's exactly what I would expect to happen in that scenario. 300-400 miles; So that's probably five hours @ 70mph (assuming 350 miles). Let's also assume the vibration of the bungee cord is 15hz, you're looking at 270,000 agitations. Would steel (instead of aluminum) have held up better? Possibly, but that's still going to eat through your clear coat, paint, and into the bare metal. There's simply no protecting against that scenario.

Like I said, it sucks and I genuinely feel bad for that happening to a new Rap. But the load wasn't properly secured -- Hard to put any blame on the vehicle manufacturer for that.

Also, bungee cords are used to tie down patio furniture covers. Ratchet straps are for cargo. My $0.02.

So let me get this straight, you’d you use ratchet straps for to tie down a tarp covering your bed? Don’t think so. I use ratcheting straps for legit stuff- holding down my ATV or riding mower, not holding down a damn tarp.

And I’m less annoyed w/ the paint on the bumper or the plastic fender flare, but the damage on the bed side panel? 100000000% due to it being made of AL Alloy. This is a 1/2 ton high performance off-road truck, it’s supposed to see abuse.

But the kinda abuse an HD commercial work truck sees? Over 300,000 miles? My guess all AL bodies won’t look much different than all steel- one will be rusted out in the wheel wells the other will Be looking like scarred Swiss cheese due to all the puncture wounds & wear holes. If you think for 1 second a steel body panel would’ve worn down like that over a few hours from a rubber covered steel clip rubbing on it you’re outta your mind!! No F’n way! I’ve done way worse to previous steel body trucks w/o any issue.

Regardless I’m just gonna wax it see what clear coat stuff can buff out & get the bed side panel repainted before winter.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, paint is thin nowadays. 3 mil or so. There's debate on how well paint adheres to aluminum on the new F150s, but put any paint through what you did to it and it will be gone.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you’d you use ratchet straps for to tie down a tarp covering your bed? Don’t think so. I use ratcheting straps for legit stuff- holding down my ATV or riding mower, not holding down a damn tarp.

And I’m less annoyed w/ the paint on the bumper or the plastic fender flare, but the damage on the bed side panel? 100000000% due to it being made of AL Alloy. This is a 1/2 ton high performance off-road truck, it’s supposed to see abuse.

But the kinda abuse an HD commercial work truck sees? Over 300,000 miles? My guess all AL bodies won’t look much different than all steel- one will be rusted out in the wheel wells the other will Be looking like scarred Swiss cheese due to all the puncture wounds & wear holes. If you think for 1 second a steel body panel would’ve worn down like that over a few hours from a rubber covered steel clip rubbing on it you’re outta your mind!! No F’n way! I’ve done way worse to previous steel body trucks w/o any issue.

Regardless I’m just gonna wax it see what clear coat stuff can buff out & get the bed side panel repainted before winter.

Would I use ratchet straps over bungee cords? Absolutely, without equivocation. Though when I cover cargo with a tarp, I prefer zip ties through the anchors. Point being, bungee cords have way too much give for the kinds of force a bed is going to be subjected to from wind resistance at 70+mph.

And I agree, the AL panel probably didn't hold up as well as a steel variant would have. But I think the difference would likely be marginal.

And I'm not trying to argue with you. Like I said, it sucks and I feel for you. I was simply trying to offer a pointer on the bungee cords, as I've had similar problems in the past (rubber coated hook wore away clear coat/paint/steel, but it was a boat trailer so I didn't care). But I think @goblues38 said it best: Nothing ever touches the paint.

I hope you get everything sorted out.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the world you would put anything against the paint to secure anything and hope it doesn't leave a mark is beyond logic. I guess if you have a service bed, no big deal. And your comparison of the steel bodies versus the aluminum bodies. You ever notice how many semi rigs running down the road have aluminum trailers? Millions of miles on them.

Again, sorry for your misfortune but it would have done it to any vehicle.

Sam

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, you can have the camera on while driving forward, helps to see what's up when towing retards like this that run out of gas! I was pulling him at 40 to **** him off, ha ha 5806c43f36dbac9e5f066f557b387d30.jpg

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
How do you do the FORScan?