Black or Silver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Brit

Reaction score
Having a hard time deciding between black or silver... In person, I've seen a black crew cab up close and a silver passing by in a flash. Of the two colours, I think the black, when shiny, looks pretty stunning, aggressive and has a great presence. I had a metallic black Powerwagon and at 4 years old the paint still looked very good, but black can look old pretty quickly if you're not careful.

I currently have a silver 2008 RS4 and like it for that quality appearance that can look clean even when it’s definitely not. On the Raptor it has the same appeal and perhaps tones down the aggressive look just a tad. While both the silver and black paint both get the same wear, silver just seems to look better, longer. I also find the contrasting components of each colour truck appealing too – black with like coloured fender flares, bumpers etc… While the silver has contrasting fender flares and bumpers, drawing your eye to the significant differences to a regular F150…

What are your thoughts, particularly if you’ve parked the two colour trucks side by side? Wish you’d got the other colour? Also, in your book should it be metallic black or just black?

Cheers,
Mark – prospective 2012 owner!

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time deciding between black or silver... In person, I've seen a black crew cab up close and a silver passing by in a flash. Of the two colours, I think the black, when shiny, looks pretty stunning, aggressive and has a great presence. I had a metallic black Powerwagon and at 4 years old the paint still looked very good, but black can look old pretty quickly if you're not careful.

I currently have a silver 2008 RS4 and like it for that quality appearance that can look clean even when it’s definitely not. On the Raptor it has the same appeal and perhaps tones down the aggressive look just a tad. While both the silver and black paint both get the same wear, silver just seems to look better, longer. I also find the contrasting components of each colour truck appealing too – black with like coloured fender flares, bumpers etc… While the silver has contrasting fender flares and bumpers, drawing your eye to the significant differences to a regular F150…

What are your thoughts, particularly if you’ve parked the two colour trucks side by side? Wish you’d got the other colour? Also, in your book should it be metallic black or just black?

Cheers,
Mark – prospective 2012 owner!

If you plan on doing a fair amount of offroading go Silver, as Black will take a beating.

Silver overall is much easier to maintain than black.

Black does look great when its clean.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't see how silver is being different, I bet silver is an extremely common color choice for the '11's.

I opted against black on my '12 order. After two black 00 HD trucks I've had enough with keeping black clean. While the raptor does still look cool dirty, black is still more of a PITA just to keep swirl free and flawless looking even though the metallic does make it a little easier.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd say that Black is the most popular color choice. I think I remember seeing that someplace.

I have Silver, so get black. Be different.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If we're talking rarity get a blue flame. Haven't seen one on the road yet.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see Raptors on the road almost everyday and silver is a rarity.

unless you're continuously driving around different parts of the country, odds are it's the same few raptors you're seeing, so that rarity that you may see doesn't mean it's representative of the number of each color built. Especially considering there wasn't a silver in 2010, but that doesn't mean it's less common out of 2011's, even more of a reason for it to be a more popular color that year.

I've seen probably an even mix of black and silvers on the road through my travels. Only seen 1 or 2 blue and orange ones. Never saw a white one yet.