Bit the bullet and bought a Borla Exhaust!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ApacheAg

Reaction score
Well... I finally broke down and just could not handle the stock sound of the Gen2. So many things I love about this truck, but sadly the exhaust note just seems to fall short of the mark of where it could have been. Now I understand and fully acknowledge the TTV6 will never be a V8 so it will always be playing catch up in the noise department. But I may as well try!

After searching countless comparison videos, reviews, installs and asking buddies of mine to listen to different brands and to get their take, both my friends and I always seemed to always come back to Borla as the top choice. Torn between the S-Type and the Atak I just couldn't pull the trigger. I def wanted something loud and aggressive but just for the life of me couldn't figure out what was too much from the videos online or forum posts before this.

So, I went full send and got the Atak. Worried I would regret not going all out I just went for it knowing I could always get something more tame. Hopefully by the end of the week the part will come in and I can get it on over the weekend. Once I do I will give my 1st impression, a week update, and compare some city and highway driving to give my take of the drone and tone it creates. Maybe help someone out there make their decision.

If its too much and you're in the El Paso area, keep an eye out for a "new" exhaust for sale lol

Ulises

Reaction score
I've been shopping around too for an exhaust, and I cannot decide in between a Borla and a Corsa. Maybe im just too indecisive.

18LFG

Reaction score
Just got my Raptor and in the same boat. Looking at Corsa, Borla, Roush or AWE. Really want something louder just not ridiculous and droney.

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a AWE 0FG installed and love it. There is plenty of drone between 45-55 mph (wahwahwahwahwahwah…), but it’s a small price to pay for a full-throated exhaust.

Enjoy the Atak!! I would get the same if I went with Botla.

Reaction score
Good choice. I listened to like an hour long compilation the other day and thought the Atak sounded great as well. I like the note, I'm curious how loud it is overall.

nevermindd

Reaction score
I had the Atak on my 2018 Raptor and it’s the best sound compared to stock! I got told by a friend who’s a dodge fan that it was the best sounding gen2 raptor he’d ever heard… it’s loud but in a good way! Cold starts are amazing..Now looking to get it again for my 2021.. You’ll love it!

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Borla on my 2017 after three month of getting my truck. Got it off an older guy on Craigslist because he had it on his truck for a week and it was a little too loud for him. I love my, the tone it's just right and the carbon fiber tips is very good looking. it's a little annoying on a long drive but is no different then my wife sitting next to me!!!o_O

KOK JR

Reaction score
I have had the FP exhaust by Borla on my 18 for three years. It's the touring system so it has valves that open as the exhaust pressure increases.
Ay WOT it's very loud and sounds great. At normal throttle I can get out of my neighborhood without disturbing my neighbors too much.
There is also a sport version that is pretty loud all the time. My wife is comfortable with the sound on the interstate at 80 mph.
It was expensive but I've never regretted it.

OP
OP
ApacheAg

ApacheAg

Reaction score
So my exhaust came in last Friday and while there was still plenty of time in the day to put it on I opted to wait until yesterday to throw it on as a weekend project. So here is my quick down and dirty on the ATAK.

With the help of a buddy of mine from work we started the project around 9AM. No lift, just us and the help of his two tool grabbing kids! Out of the box the quality of the exhaust and packing were really well done. We formulated a plan and got to work. The worst part for sure was the removal of the old exhaust. The process of removing took about 50 minutes and luckily my truck when I purchased it was never brought to the North so rust was a minimum. A quick 10 minute break and we had the new one on in about 30 minutes. Shout out to the impact wrench. Real game changer.

Total time about 1.5 hours of laying on our backs and a couple "F!@# Yous" to toss it on.

First startup: Grinning ear to ear for sure, both my buddy and I were impressed. It Is LOUD. Nice low growl, no rasp. A healthy drone that one would expect. But it really ties together what the Raptor could of and should have been. Its now a performance truck that sounds like a performance truck.

First drive: (No music and windows open) it can be quiet in the neighborhood if you want it to be (post cold start of course RIP neighbors) but flooring it it makes itself known.

(no music and windows closed) accelerations are not super obnoxious its what one would expect knowingly getting a loud exhaust and most the noise comes from that first 4-5 gears through accelerating and then its smooth sailing with little to no drone. But it feels and sounds like I'm driving a truck now and I don't feel as self conscious as I expected I would be knowing I have the ATAK on.

Most the cabin noise can be covered up anyway with music at about 13-15. My friend complimented the sound when I drove away so that's a plus.

All in all, great first impression and tons of compliments. I am very happy. That said Ill see how the commute is next week to work and give an update later on for that suburb/highway drive.IMG_0776 (2).JPG

I have before and after sound videos, when I figure out how to edit out my license plate ill post!