Bike Mount Options on Your Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timely. I've always used a hitch rack, but thought I'd try the tailgate pad. Obviously taking up the bed is only a to the trails and back solution and not a road trip one.

I think I'll go with the Kuat. Save the 4 bike hitch rack for guys mtb weekends. Not a fan of the tailgate pad. Takes too long to put on for what you get. I like having options though.

Fox 38's are sweet for my 'inelegant' line selection and enjoyment of ripping down sick chunder and gnar. :)

1643427138841.png

1643427297372.png

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works, but just be aware a tailgate pad WILL cause rubbing to the underside of your downtube. Depending on your bikes frame material and value, you might want to put on some clear 3M film (Ridewrap do kits) where the frame meets the pad. For the MTB'ers, you can add a rubber shuttle pad to the downtube, if you are driving offroad.
Ridewrap also sells the shuttle pad. I did both - the ridewrap ppf and the pad. Probably overkill, but it's done now. Also did a couple of coats of ceramic on top...make cleaning a joy - lots of mud here.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son and I are into MTB, and have a few thousand dollars into each of our bikes. We tried the inexpensive route by using a Yakima Ridgeback hitch rack I before our first road trip, but like you said having a few thousand dollars bouncing up and down on the highway was not comforting. I finally said to hell with that when the bikes kept needing adjustments(mostly derailleur) because the wind was blowing them together at 75-80 mph. So, I was having no more of that and bought a Thule T2 Pro XTR. The thing is built like a tank, but even off-road our bikes don't move a single bit. They move with the truck and are locked in tight. No more adjustments have been needed due to them moving or swing against each other at all. Very pleased! NW Arkansas, and Spider Mountain here in TX are a couple of our next trips.

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So road bike or two on a Fox cover would be bad idea? Only transport a few highway miles in the dark. Have a rack but would have to instal each time to use. Thx for write up. @JAWSRaptor
It would work but like but like @Noplacelikeloam said, will cause visible rubbing on your bike. Ridewrap works great!! My other issue is that my two road bikes don't fit very well on the pad. I have to stretch the straps to make it work and the bikes dont sit stable so the lean to the sides when i turn and i dont like that.

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timely. I've always used a hitch rack, but thought I'd try the tailgate pad. Obviously taking up the bed is only a to the trails and back solution and not a road trip one.

I think I'll go with the Kuat. Save the 4 bike hitch rack for guys mtb weekends. Not a fan of the tailgate pad. Takes too long to put on for what you get. I like having options though.

Fox 38's are sweet for my 'inelegant' line selection and enjoyment of ripping down sick chunder and gnar. :)

View attachment 339272

View attachment 339273
That bike and your truck compliment each other very nicely with the color and the Fox! Sweet!

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I would say most MTB'ers I know of that have trucks use a tailgate pad. And they are all riding 5K+ bikes.
Yep, I've noticed and I still don't get it. Might be OK for shuttling, but other than that they offer no protection to the bikes or the vehicle, they're a pain to get it in and out, there's no security, and there's nothing actually tethering them properly to the vehicle at all.

I can get a bike on or off my Kuat platform rack effortlessly within five seconds. The Recon is the only one that might beat that, but I maintain that it's overkill for most users.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bike and your truck compliment each other very nicely with the color and the Fox! Sweet!
Thanks.

I might go with the Kuat piston pro x... but they they are few and far between as they are just rolling out. Lots of nice features, and I might do the 3rd bike add on for the few times I need it.

Not cheap.

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
I did triathlons for a few years and have a RockyMount system. Mainly cause I wanted the bikes inside the bed of the truck and the ability to lock the bikes to the rack. I usually went to races with multiple bikes, So locking them was a must. It's a great system that bolts right into the bed using stock mounting holes for the tie downs. When not in use it's pretty much completely out of the way. https://rockymounts.com/products/ford-f150-track-system.html