Bike Mount Options on Your Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those bikes are beautiful! How do you like it? Any pics?
I’ve only ridden it once. The weather has been trash lately. It’s a different animal than the trek fuel I used to ride. The Pivot demo crew is coming to town this weekend. I’m going to try out a firebird.

The only pic I have is from the maiden voyage home. I didn’t have my cover with me so it rode in the cab.

Attachments

• 9722CF40-34C1-456F-A8A4-04430F4BE159.jpeg
    9722CF40-34C1-456F-A8A4-04430F4BE159.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve only ridden it once. The weather has been trash lately. The Pivot demo crew is coming to town this weekend. I’m going to try out a firebird.

The only pic I have is from the maiden voyage home. I didn’t have my cover with me so it rode in the cab.
she's a beauty!! Fox to match the truck, and full carbon. Gorgeous color scheme. Enjoy it.

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thread. So I mountain bike a lot, every week no matter what, would consider myself expert level and race from time to time. Like you, each bike I have is worth 5-10K so security and damage are important. Some bikes are lightweight carbon affairs, one is a 55lb ebike. Ive tried many ways to carry the bikes. After 10 yrs of messing about, here are my thoughts;

Option 1. For a hitch rack, just get a Recon Rack. Its expensive, heavy, but does ZERO damage and you can drive like a maniac with that thing, plus you can shuttle your buds all day long. Other vertical racks including NSR and Yakima all have subtle issues. Alternatively if you want a simpler rack Kuat or Oneup are really good.

Option 2, use a tailgate pad. The raceface pad (Fox is same design FYI) has expandable width (front to back) which you need for the huge tailgate on the Rap.

Option 3, is the Rockymounts track and driveshaft attachments. This is the most stable and can confirm a 29er fits with the tailgate closed, albeit at an angle. This physically locks your bike to the truck through your front axle. You can go crazy in the truck with this setup. For the ebikers out there, this is the best way.

Then, most importantly, LOCK IT UP! People lift bikes out of trucks at the stop light.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Mwadsworth

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of the Tailgate pad, but I am considering a Kuat NV 2.0 or a 1Up 2 bike hitch rack

These suckers aren't cheap and very few being sold used. You might find a used on for $100 less than new.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a tailgate pad for short trips with multipe bikes. But if it's just the wife and I and it's a longer trip or MTB vacation I only use 1Up.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do a summer road trip each summer from Los Angeles to Colorado with many stops along the way and the way back. We bring our 3 bikes with us and the best way for us is with the bed top mounts. I have yakima jetstream bars and yakima high roller racks. Keeps the bikes out of the way, locked and totally stable, even at 90+ mph. Around town i'd just throw them in the bed though.

-tJ-WNi5fYeC6GcFeQWZzkHagNmReYGC1zMaDAlVHMnc=w2400.jpg

Last edited:

LordxEkim

Reaction score
So road bike or two on a Fox cover would be bad idea? Only transport a few highway miles in the dark. Have a rack but would have to instal each time to use. Thx for write up. @JAWSRaptor

LordxEkim

Reaction score

Sale right now

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So road bike or two on a Fox cover would be bad idea? Only transport a few highway miles in the dark. Have a rack but would have to instal each time to use. Thx for write up. @JAWSRaptor
It works, but just be aware a tailgate pad WILL cause rubbing to the underside of your downtube. Depending on your bikes frame material and value, you might want to put on some clear 3M film (Ridewrap do kits) where the frame meets the pad. For the MTB'ers, you can add a rubber shuttle pad to the downtube, if you are driving offroad.