Big Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Nick@Apollo-Optics,

You have any plans to do a brake test like you did with the Alcons? Also, bet Wilwood has a ton more pad compound options at a fraction of the price of Alcons.

We have not done our independent testing yet.

Regarding Alcon, they have recently released their third pad compound which is even less dusty than the second compound they came out with and is also shimmed to reduce squeaking.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BP-20 pads for the Wilwoods come in at about $200 for a front axle set I believe. What are the Alcons? I'm considering dumping my Alcons for Wilwoods due to what I believe will be more reasonable service costs. Pads/rotors/caliper rebuild kits, etc.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the Wilwood kit themselves? Any surprises or is it straight forward? Is it necessary to put the truck in brake maintenance mode before the swap?

I’d hate to have the truck in the air with one side off to only discover I need to run out to grab something else.

TIA

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
BP-20 pads for the Wilwoods come in at about $200 for a front axle set I believe. What are the Alcons? I'm considering dumping my Alcons for Wilwoods due to what I believe will be more reasonable service costs. Pads/rotors/caliper rebuild kits, etc.

How many Alcon brake changes to pay for a Wilwood set up?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
When you only have $1500 in a brand new set of Alcon fronts and dump them for not too much less, not too many. After a little reasearch, the Alcon front pads alone MAP at $438.77.

I'm into my Alcons about $4500 ish (front and rear). So I will not be swapping out. Have to live through you guys on this one.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MAP is $438 front and $389 rear.
Has anyone installed the Wilwood kit themselves? Any surprises or is it straight forward? Is it necessary to put the truck in brake maintenance mode before the swap?

I’d hate to have the truck in the air with one side off to only discover I need to run out to grab something else.

TIA
It's very straight forward. The brake maintenance mode is only needed for the rear because of the EPB, not the front so you're all good. You will need to bleed brakes once you're done since the front lines get replaced with the new kit. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.