best mods to keep truck running forever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Brakes:

Flush your brake system periodically. Buy fluid in metal cans. If you want to pressure bleed, the best way is to buy one with a diaphram separating the fluid from the pressurized (and humid) air. I have a smaller version of something like this that KD Tools used to sell. https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pr...s-pressure-brake-bleeder-g300/auto-body-tools

I'm betting you haven't heard this one.
Push the brake pedal *all* the way to the floor when you are at a stop every now and then. It'll keep crud from forming on the rod just beyond the typical brake travel range, which will kill the seal if that crud gets hardened onto the rod with age/heat. The seal gets killed when people bleed their brakes via the pedal and the pedal keeps going to the floor a bunch of times, forcing that rough spot through the seal over and over.

Diverdown3

Reaction score
Beautiful truck, looks great! Forever truck is an intriguing proposal, how long you planning on living? Might need a spare truck heh, it's surprising (at least to me) how soon parts are no longer available from Ford and/or the aftermarket. But as others have mentioned and since you did too, regular maintenance is key, although I don't buy the "lifetime fill" listed for the transmission or the 50k or whatever it is for the P/S fluid; personally I change the P/S fluid in the reservoir with every oil change, and transmission/xfer case/diffs every 50k. YMMV there depending on use of course. But also IMHO Ford did a pretty good job of overbuilding it for the most part so if I suggested anything it would be Saudi transmission cooler and Performance Automatics transmission dipstick, Woolwax or some similar underbody protection along with pulling those sunroof drain lines out of the rockers and Gorilla taping the holes (can't tell if you have a sunroof and not sure you're in a salt/rust area), killswitch/GPS/Trunk Monkey to keep it yours, and maybe a spare set of shocks you can swap out as needed. Good luck!
I can't find a Performance Automatics transmission dipstick for the Gen II 10r80 on their website. Maybe they only make one for the Gen I?