Best “sentry” style dashcam front and rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

So Thursday my 21 LFG got keyed near the rear of the truck on the side. Looks like it’s gonna be a full body panel repaint. Because of this I’m thinking about getting cameras for the truck so next time something like this happens I can catch the scumbag on camera and give to police.

Anyone have any good recommendations for ones that run 100% of the time and can store like 5 days of footage? Maybe ones that allow for uploading the data to a cloud location? Ideally not a one that requires a “subscription” like the ring doorbell cams.

Thanks.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That freakin sucks. I would worry about power draw on the battery with cams and a HD running non stop. Happen at home or random spot? Got any pics? Wish our trucks used the cameras like the Tesla.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news man. Think it was the ‘ex’? Anywho, BlackVue cams seems to be a popular choice. You can read through this thread for some insight.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That freakin sucks. I would worry about power draw on the battery with cams and a HD running non stop. Happen at home or random spot? Got any pics? Wish our trucks used the cameras like the Tesla.
Typically you want to use an isolation battery for them if you regularly go multiple days without driving them and leave it on. You can either put the battery on switched power, or use one of the ones that has voltage sensing and turns itself off at a predefined voltage from the vehicle's main battery.

Downside is, it probably won't help. You already know what happened in this case, and a dash cam is useful for that. If you hope to get enough visibility/clarity to identify who? Probably won't help.

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

So Thursday my 21 LFG got keyed near the rear of the truck on the side. Looks like it’s gonna be a full body panel repaint. Because of this I’m thinking about getting cameras for the truck so next time something like this happens I can catch the scumbag on camera and give to police.

Anyone have any good recommendations for ones that run 100% of the time and can store like 5 days of footage? Maybe ones that allow for uploading the data to a cloud location? Ideally not a one that requires a “subscription” like the ring doorbell cams.

Thanks.
I found this. I have an older model 70mai and it works great. I backed this to get one. If it works well I’ll get one for my other cars too.
https://dash-cam-omni-360-rotating.kckb.st/7c56a7cd

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to install a 2 amp tender on mine (from Amazon...see below) due to the Minn winters and my only driving it 1 or 2 times a week (most tenders are only about 1 amp). Check the draw on the camera, but maybe installing a unit like this might adequate to support the camera being run off the truck battery. I would guess(?) that this would also depend on whether the camera runs only sporadically (i.e. motion activated) or continuuously. Of course this would also require access to an AC plugin where its parked. Good luck...

Last edited:
OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Antho @Littlefx4 unfortunately happened at a Dallas stars game. Didn’t park like an a**hole or anything but the spots were definitely not truck friendly. After the game the car next to me was gone and the damage was done.

When I showed the dealer and asked how to approach fixing it he brought up two things:

1. Apparently there are really really jealous people out there that when they see people like us with raptors they get upset they can’t have one too and vandalize them. The dealer said this year he’s had 4-5 raptors come in with vandalism done to them (mostly keying). Maybe this is just a Dallas thing.

2. What likely happened is the guy parked next to me opened his door (not carefully) and the edge of the door hit the rock rail damaging his door. The car was white and I saw a white mark on the rock rail. After ******* up his own door due to his carelessness he likely keyed me to share his pain.

Either way, nasty people exist in this world and even though I try to be as nice as I can to most people, sometimes some people just like to see others suffer too for their own sorry asses.

@rfc805 in this case the dash came might have been good because when I parked I might have gotten a snap of the car that was parked next to me (plates) so I could provide to police.

Likely I’ll just have to pay for fix out of pocket. Not worth the insurance drama. Thanks for the camera recommendations and ideas!

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into dashcam quality. They are really, really bad at capturing details in most situations, even something like a license plate.

In general, it'd maybe catch what happened, though likely only if it were in front or behind - probably not along side. But details of who, plates, etc? Probably not, they just aren't good enough.