bed light behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the light switch in the bed of the truck. If I hit the button with the ignition on (truck running or not running) all lights work including the two in the bed. If I hit the button with the truck off (locked or unlocked) the two bed lights wont turn on, but the ones in the third brake light and ones the front door mirrors will.

Is that normal? I am coming from a 2019 lariat where that switch would turn the bed lights with the truck off.

Not seeing much in Forscan about adjusting it.

Last edited:

awd5906

Reaction score
That is not normal, at least it doesn’t work that way on my truck. All the bed lights turn on regardless if the car running or not. The mirror lights will never turn on when this button is pressed. Do you have proximity lighting on or off? Maybe there’s another setting that changes this? I have a 2023 fwiw.

OP
OP
ekalb

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I think it's behind as it should now. I hadn't driven it for two days when I was messing with it last night. I guess something was "asleep". I posted it over on F150Forum as well and got this response. Mine is/was doing exactly this. I think I'm all set.

"I played with it some more, it's been several days since i drove my truck last and it was in sleep mode. The approach lights did not come on when I entered my shop.

- I unlocked the truck with the fob, switch in the bed DID NOT turn the bed lights on, just the cab light.
- I turned the ignition on with the key present and the switch in the bed operates as expected, bed and cab light comes on.
- I turned the truck back off, with the key in my pocket, the switch in the bed operates as expected, bed and cab light comes on.
- I locked the truck, the switch in the bed still turns on the box lights.
- I put my keys back in the house (~50ft away) and walked back to the truck, switch in the bed operates as expected, bed and cab light comes on.

So I'd say my truck is operating as it always has, it's just that when it was in sleep mode, the box lights don't come on. And apparently, just unlocking the truck with the fob wasn't enough to wake it back up.

Kinda weird behavior to me. If I were to hazard a guess, whatever module is responsible for physically turning on the cab light is not the same module responsible for turning on the box lights when commanded. One (or more) modules on the truck likely do not enter sleep mode like the rest. That in and of itself isn't surprising, since the truck has to keep some part of itself awake to respond to the fob, keypad, and/or door opening."