Beating a dead horse, I know. Cam Phasers replaced, now low oil pressure warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor52

Reaction score
Background: I've never had any troubles with my 2019 until around January of this year, when started to have the dreaded cam phaser noise on cold start. Mid April I took to dealership to get them replaced. Truck sounded great on pick up day drove home, the next two weeks light driving no issues. April 27th hook trailer up to go get cow feed went 10 miles and throws a low oil pressure warning. Pull over and did the usually (same as other posts). Restart truck and error gone trying going again and throws it again. This time just started working my way back home. the following Monday limp mode to dealership.

Yesterday: Received(email, no phone) a quote for a new engine (15K for those wondering, parts + labor). The diagnostic report shows verified concern, checked oil pressure. Drained oil found bearing debris, camshaft phasers will not cause concern. I called the dealership balking over the idea of bringing a truck in for a $4000 phaser fix, drive it for 500 miles and now I need a new engine???? Rep let me talk to tech, I asked him if he checked the oil prior to cam phaser fix. Yes. Metal then? No. Then yall jacked my truck up, when I went in the first time there was no mention of oil pressure problems. Spoke with Serv Manager, he immediately goes into Ford Financial Assistance. I ask why are we talking about this? I want to know what caused the problem first, then we can talk about the fix - not go straight into fixing by replacing the whole thing.

Today: Last night after searching post after post I came across https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/replaced-phasers-twice-now-blown-motor.88027/post-1901980 thank you to @FordTechOne for validating my thoughts on workmanship. Spoke with Serv Manager this morning about DTCs, he could not or would not provide them to me. Went into talks again FFA. I asked him why we are going this way, I never asked for it, just balked at price. Using the tools available to him. Asked again, yall did invasive surgery doing phasers and you dont think theres a problem on your end. Wanted to drop oil pan and check pump and see the metal. Told him at this point I want to be cautious there will be no doing anything until I have more information about DTCs. He said they do about 5-6 of these per month and never seen this before.

A few of my customers have recommended a independant, best Ford Mechanic in area. Im considering towing truck to him for 3rd party breakdown.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. if it was only 500 miles from the phaser repair, that’s either very unlucky happenstance, or, they fúcked up the repair. The stealership will fight you tooth and nail to not pay up because they’re on the hook for the replacement, not Ford.

if you want them to pay for it, you’re probably going to need a lawyer, unless they’re genuinely concerned about their future business with you- for example, you’ve bought 50+ trucks from them.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? I'm assuming you don't have an extended warranty? Did you pay out of pocket for the phasers? I think I'd call Ford corp and start a case.

OP
OP
R

raptor52

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. if it was only 500 miles from the phaser repair, that’s either very unlucky happenstance, or, they fúcked up the repair. The stealership will fight you tooth and nail to not pay up because they’re on the hook for the replacement, not Ford.

if you want them to pay for it, you’re probably going to need a lawyer, unless they’re genuinely concerned about their future business with you- for example, you’ve bought 50+ trucks from them.
Serv Manager seems concerned. But only in the getting Ford money help. Ive been corporate before and you never admit wrong doing. I want to know cause before fixing with a new motor.

OP
OP
R

raptor52

Reaction score

Yes, this could be a happenstance. My thoughts are that wouldnt I have seen something prephaser. Oil changed 5K give or take same place since new.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've said that the correct response to phaser noise is a trade in .... and you didn't change my mind. :(

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There’s about 99.9% chance it’s a workmanship issue. Engines don’t just randomly fail 500 miles after an intrusive repair. The most common causes of workmanship issues are debris left behind and improperly torqued fasteners.

I’d recommend having another dealer or independent mechanic disassemble the engine and document everything to find out what went wrong.

Here’s some common things to look for:

- Cracked crankshaft timing gear caused by improperly torqued crank bolt
- Debris from shop rags or paper towels under the timing cover, in the oil pickup, or in the oil pump
- Pushed out oil galley plug behind the timing cover
- RTV silicone in the oil pan, pickup screen, tube, or pump. This is caused by improper cleaning of the old RTV, or by excessive RTV being applied to the front cover during reassembly.

The dealer needs to stand behind their work. Don’t let them off the hook.

OP
OP
R

raptor52

Reaction score
Thanks @FordTechOne for response, I appreciate it. I’m going into a holding pattern waiting on what Ford decides about the assistance program.

What I think I’m going to do is take a step back then proceed as follows-

1) Wait to see if I’m lucky enough to have Ford pay for a new engine. I doubt they will. I’ve verified my case # with Ford. Weird that they won’t give me access to a request made on my behalf. I wanted to see what dealer was reporting, I asked Ford directly for this info.

2) If they approve. Then my question would be am I locked into that dealer or can I use someone else?

3) Either way I’m towing and paying for a breakdown and find the cause before a replacement is done. I’m willing to pay and risk the bet that they screwed it up.

4) Contact dealer again after second opinion if this isn’t just a coincidence. Taking steps to make sure they honor their work. Maybe I’m old school or just being stupid but I just can’t ask Ford to pay for something that could be a dealer issue.

Didn’t receive any follow up call regarding DTCs after request this morning.