BBK Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

na svt

Reaction score
Larger diameter TBs are useless unless the engine demands more air than the stock TB can provide. Unlike a carb, a larger than necessary TB will not hurt power anywhere in the powerband, if it does there's something wrong with the tune.

If you think your engine may benefit from a larger TB, put a vacuum gauge after the TB and do a full throttle run. If the vacuum never reaches "0", you have a restriction in the intake system which could mean the TB is too small. It could also mean that something else is the constraint (filter, intake tube, etc.).

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine along with some other livernois goodies!

reyesahr

Reaction score
bbk 85mm throttle body

I was thinking about adding this to my raptor. But what is the size of the stock TB.
And is it worth it?

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
There is a thread somewhere with info on it. Honestly the engine gets enough of air with a cold air intake. At this point the best route to go is headers, true dual exhaust, tune and cold air intake.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I started a thread on it a while ago. Better money spent else where. As said tune,headers. Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes I know bringing back from the dead.
BUT I see a lot of suggestions saying they don't work but anyone actually bolt it up and agree with they don't work?

TBs have always been a awesome mod for me but saying that they were always on super charged motors. If I remember correct it was in the 20s for my E55. the throttle response was also way way better feeling. felt like 50hp.tq No clue on a NA motor but I am gonna try it on my raptor this weekend or soon as it gets here

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I could not resist buying this 2015-16 GT350 87mm from Ford Racing for $116 + shipping. So far I have not been able to find an adapter for the ford 6.2L but when and if I do I plan to try it on my Raptor. I've read that the general consensus is that this will not result in any gains in hp and may in fact hurt drivability. I want to stay n/a with this truck and may go with the Livernois heads and cams later down the road so this may just be a $100 paper weight until then.

My curiosity for this mod started with the born in BAJA video, when they start the build for the Raptor R, the first thing that they said was needed is more air in the engine so they ported the TB. Then a year or two ago Steeda offered a kit for a n/a build using a 90mm TB and claimed 447 hp to the rear wheels. After visiting the Steeda web page I called Livernois to get their take on this mod and got a less than enthusiastic response, they thought the $500 could be put to better use.

IMG_5830_zpslahyicqx.jpg

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget the Raptor R had modified heads and a cam so a slightly larger TB may have help.

Steeda is well known, but without knowing all the info to this build I cannot make a valid comment.
Having said that, getting 130 rwhp over the stock 317 rwhp out of NA 6.2L is a pretty big feat that's for sure.
That's more than the Stage 1 Roush SC gets.

Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@pat247. The Raptor R was running a version of the 6.2l that was around 500hp. Different, heads, cams etc. The need for more air was NOT driven by the demands of a stock 6.2l. The Raptor XT which Ford cancelled had the same engine configuration.