Battery Replacement/Size and Jump Pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure the battery in my 22 is going bad, going to keep an eye on it but I’m only seeing 12.2 volts after it’s been fully charged. Might take it to dealer for warranty but was curious if this interstate battery would be the correct replacement. Maybe someone knows if it will fit? It’s H7 agm battery.

It appears that interstate battery is the correct size for our trucks, but I would love to hear from someone else as a backup along with the options I've listed below. I see 94r and h7 from different companies. It's a good question about batteries that I still don't have a complete grasp on. The way I see it, I have 3 choices if I want to replace the battery in my truck. Those three options are Interstate (3-year warranty), Optima Yellow Top (3-year warranty) and X2 Power Extreme (4-year warranty). The interstate is about $100 cheaper and seems to match the factory battery specs perfectly at 80Ah as does the Optima Yellow Top.

Interstate
850 CCA
80Ah
no weight listed
$239

Yellowtop
880 CCA
80 Ah
60.5 lbs
$349

X2 Power Extreme
840 CCA
76Ah
55.75 lbs
$349

The X2 power is only 76Ah, and I've always wondered if you would end up with electrical problems shorting the vehicle 4Ah. It doesn't seem likely, but I'm not an expert. I'd love to hear from a member about that exact factor. The off-road community loves the Yellow Tops and X2 Power, but they come with a price tag unless you can catch a sale. I don't have a dead battery, so I can wait until a good sale and strike for either a yellow top or X2 should I go that route. The only selling factor on the X2 is an extra year warranty since it comes up short in weight, CCA and Ah. Does that 1 year factor make it worth going for over the Optima Yellow Top.

How about from our supporting Car Audio people? I am sure they have an opinion on this.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up going to dealer to have the battery tested. They tried claiming the battery was good and tested twice at 12.9 and 12.5 volts. I knew there was no way as every time I’d checked it I was getting 11.9-12.1v. I pushed them to test it one more time in front of me because the truck was only showing 12.0 and my SPOD was showing 12.1v. Third test showed 12.18 which they claimed was ok. I pushed back and informed them that was less than 50% charge. Was finally able to get them to replace it under warranty. I hate dealing with dealerships but I’ll take the battery for now.

They replaced with a 94RH7 battery.

I’m betting the 6 weeks the truck sat at the rail yard on delivery probably killed the battery.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ended up going to dealer to have the battery tested. They tried claiming the battery was good and tested twice at 12.9 and 12.5 volts. I knew there was no way as every time I’d checked it I was getting 11.9-12.1v. I pushed them to test it one more time in front of me because the truck was only showing 12.0 and my SPOD was showing 12.1v. Third test showed 12.18 which they claimed was ok. I pushed back and informed them that was less than 50% charge. Was finally able to get them to replace it under warranty. I hate dealing with dealerships but I’ll take the battery for now.

They replaced with a 94RH7 battery.

I’m betting the 6 weeks the truck sat at the rail yard on delivery probably killed the battery.
Yea I am thinking that's the issue with most of these batteries for sure. Does the extended warranty 150k / 8 year possibly cover the battery too? If it does, I would just let the dealer fix it for free but if that ends after 3 year 36k I am getting a new freshie for sure.

Reaction score
I have been having odd electronic issues much like these posted about batteries. Much like many here I went with an Optima Yellow top. It helped about 98%. There was one last thing I kept reading online...before you shut down the Raptor unplug anything in one of the 12 volt power ports. Next shut off everything. Things like wipers on delay setting, every exterior light, infotainment and climate control. Insure bot visor mirrors are off. I even made sure I turned off every aux things like the winch. I did this 3 weeks ago. The truck starts right up on the first try. Every gauge and options work without issues. I am crossing my fingers that this solves my issues.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking I must have a bad battery. My Raptor sat in Detroit for 4+ months after it got built. After going dead a few times, the dealer did a full check in January and denied there was any issue and gave me the printouts. Now - after two weeks of being in the garage, battery dead. It has been ok the last 90 days.

Slow charged it this weekend to full. Yesterday, decided to check and it was down to 20%. Nothing is on or plugged into any charging ports, etc.

Weather is also finally warmer here. I am charging it again but have a couple of trips coming up and would hate to be stranded. Dealer is making me wait two weeks to get in on an appt. basis to check again - otherwise they say you leave it for 6 to 10 days - crazy.

Might just have to bite the bullet and buy my own battery which annoys me after 15 months of ownership. Any reason not to go with the Interstate for $240? I know they used to be a good brand, not sure now? I doubt I'll have this truck longer than three more years which is the warranty period.

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking I must have a bad battery. My Raptor sat in Detroit for 4+ months after it got built. After going dead a few times, the dealer did a full check in January and denied there was any issue and gave me the printouts. Now - after two weeks of being in the garage, battery dead. It has been ok the last 90 days.

Slow charged it this weekend to full. Yesterday, decided to check and it was down to 20%. Nothing is on or plugged into any charging ports, etc.

Weather is also finally warmer here. I am charging it again but have a couple of trips coming up and would hate to be stranded. Dealer is making me wait two weeks to get in on an appt. basis to check again - otherwise they say you leave it for 6 to 10 days - crazy.

Might just have to bite the bullet and buy my own battery which annoys me after 15 months of ownership. Any reason not to go with the Interstate for $240? I know they used to be a good brand, not sure now? I doubt I'll have this truck longer than three more years which is the warranty period.
I live in a similar cold-weather situation as you do and have similar concerns. On trips, Instead of jumper cables, I bought one of these to stow under the back seat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CPXRKLT/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

When at home, I installed on of these (under the hood, on top of the battery) and keep it plugged in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W3QSMF9/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Good luck....

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a similar cold-weather situation as you do and have similar concerns. On trips, Instead of jumper cables, I bought one of these to stow under the back seat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CPXRKLT/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

When at home, I installed on of these (under the hood, on top of the battery) and keep it plugged in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W3QSMF9/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Good luck....
Thanks. Pretty much the same - I carry a portable pack. I did wipe it out a few months ago. Seems only good for one jump, maybe two. I have a battery maintainer on now, but sure didn't think I would need to for a couple of weeks. I get a couple of months....

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your portable pack stopped working? Which one was it? I want to avoid buying one for $150 and then 2 years later when I finally need it, it’s not working.