Battery Replacement/Size and Jump Pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
few things to note here. the jump packs regardless of manufacturer will always say to discharge unit if storing for more than 3 months, or will say to discharge unit every 3 months to maintain the battery inside. the ah of a battery isnt the end all be all for batteries. my oem battery lasted me 3 months because of the amount of current draw from my sound system. had it replaced under warranty thinking it was a fluke. new battery lasted about 3 months..... swapped it out for an optima yellow top and the battery lasted 4 years before crapping out. put in another and it lasted about 4 years as well. now on my 3rd yellow top and its been in year or so. the cca and the ability to be drained and recharged without capacity loss is why i keep going with gel cell batteries. so while the ah of the oem might be more, it can sometimes not be enough cca, after being partially drained, to start your truck. the lithium batteries are awesome. expensive, but awesome. problem is, as stated above, they dont like cold weather and can be an expensive paperweight if they get too cold.

just take out your moonroof and put solar panels. until skynet takes over and we darken the skies, it will always work. might take a while, but will work.
So with this being said, if a battery has a slightly less aH rating but a higher CCA it should work fine for the Gen 3? I really like the X2 Power Extreme battery from Batteries Plus Bulbs. The real reason is that it has a 4-year warranty. I ran these on my Jeep and just like @The Car Stereo Company said, even with the highest level AGM which I consider to be the Optima Yellow Top, you still can only really get 4 years out of a battery if you are running it hard or with extras. So it's essentially a high-level CCA with a 78aH battery but that extra year will get you a brand-new replacement battery. In my jeep when the warranty got close to ending the battery just needed a little bit of extra roughness with the lights and air compressor to completely kill it. It's a buy one get one free in 4 years I guess.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that heat kills the lithium jump packs. I bought an AG XP10HD in 2017 which bit the dust due to heat/swelling this winter.

I’m thinking that the useful life is maybe 4-5 years. The AG was out of warranty, however AG gave me a nice discount on a replacement.

My thinking is now to purchase an inexpensive unit and replace every few years.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be aware that heat kills the lithium jump packs. I bought an AG XP10HD in 2017 which bit the dust due to heat/swelling this winter.

I’m thinking that the useful life is maybe 4-5 years. The AG was out of warranty, however AG gave me a nice discount on a replacement.

My thinking is now to purchase an inexpensive unit and replace every few years.
Yea that is also where my head is at with the jump pack. They never seem to last. Battery technology has a life span. The one at Costco is about $70 so $100 was my spend limit. This came in at $10 over, so I figured I would give it a try.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone else have recommendations on Jump start packs? I currently use a big Stanley pack.. PITA to take with you...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-09 144435.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-09 144435.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 4

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've replaced many of my prior vehicle batteries with the X2/Northstar from Batteries Plus Bulbs after extensive amounts of research. I'll still read up when the time comes, though I am pretty sure I'll go that route again when needed. This is a good thread. Thanks!

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've replaced many of my prior vehicle batteries with the X2/Northstar from Batteries Plus Bulbs after extensive amounts of research. I'll still read up when the time comes, though I am pretty sure I'll go that route again when needed. This is a good thread. Thanks!
Same... great batteries.

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always used Optima red top batteries in all my cars, including our classic Bronco which sits for many weeks or months at a time in the winter.

Never once had a failure or any issue whatsoever.