Battery issues & Looking for advice before 1PM Mountain Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thinking of going with a larger 49/H8 for my truck. Have always had Interstate batteries and nothing bad to say. Anyone see anything good or bad about this battery?

Seems to be same dimensions as the Duracell others are using. Also measured the tray and appears it will fit.

I'm pretty sure I listed this battery a while ago as a possibility in an older thread. I was always an Interstate battery person until I realized that the major factor is the 4th year warranty on other similar brands. If they are essentially the same price and same specs, I'd rather have the 4th year of warranty. Seems to be the biggest factor to me. Interstate can be returned under warranty at much more locations should you have an issue.

Let us know how it fits and works, please. I'm almost ready to pull this trigger.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I listed this battery a while ago as a possibility in an older thread. I was always an Interstate battery person until I realized that the major factor is the 4th year warranty on other similar brands. If they are essentially the same price and same specs, I'd rather have the 4th year of warranty. Seems to be the biggest factor to me. Interstate can be returned under warranty at much more locations should you have an issue.

Let us know how it fits and works, please. I'm almost ready to pull this trigger.

All the power specs for this battery seem better than comparable batteries from other manufacturers. I’ll probably go with it pretty soon. Not sure I understand what you’re saying about the warranty but this interstate battery has a 48month replacement warranty. That’s good enough for me.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the power specs for this battery seem better than comparable batteries from other manufacturers. I’ll probably go with it pretty soon. Not sure I understand what you’re saying about the warranty but this interstate battery has a 48month replacement warranty. That’s good enough for me.
I’m sorry I just noticed this. Interstate used to only be 36 month. This is 48. This has the better specs too.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having doubts about Interstates now...
Going to Costco for them had been my go to for past couple years.
Got a new one for the Raptor last spring.
TOTALLY dead this spring.
I had started and ran the Raptor 5-6 times over winter.
Whenever temps warmed up I would go to barn, start, and run truck for 10-15 minutes.
Last couple times I had to use a booster to get truck to turn over.
Same when I brought it home a few weeks ago.
Assumed the electronics would drain over 2-3-4 weeks enough that it just needed to be "topped off".
Got truck home and did everything I could to charge the 10 month old battery.
Nothing doing.
Gone.
I was bummed 'cause, as I said, Costco and Interstate were my choice.
Went to Costco for even more bad news.
Warranty changed.
LUCKILY I was grandfathered in bought the battery just before change.
100% pro-rating now.
From now on, rather than no charge 1st year and pro-rated after, pro-rated from time of purchase.
AND price went up from last year until this spring, SO $10+ difference....
Clerk was nice enough and explained everything, repeated over and over change to warranty.
But, don't know where to go next time I need a battery.
Has been Walmart for cheap stuff, garden tractor etc.
Doesn't look like any benefit to pay the little extra at Costco/Interstate over Wally world now:(

other than...

Not having to make a trip into Walmart

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whenever temps warmed up I would go to barn, start, and run truck for 10-15 minutes.
Assumed the electronics would drain over 2-3-4 weeks enough that it just needed to be "topped off".
Nothing doing.
Gone.
Warranty changed.
100% pro-rating now.
From now on, rather than no charge 1st year and pro-rated after, pro-rated from time of purchase.
Clerk was nice enough and explained everything, repeated over and over change to warranty.
Doesn't look like any benefit to pay the little extra at Costco/Interstate over Wally world now:(

other than...

Wow thats crazy. Prorated is a dealbreaker for me. I always told all of my friends who just needed regular batteries to go to costco for an interstate battery. This changes things. As far as the quality of the battery, you have some pretty extreme conditions for a battery to survive. Still i would expect an AGM to at least last one winter.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thats crazy. Prorated is a dealbreaker for me. I always told all of my friends who just needed regular batteries to go to costco for an interstate battery. This changes things. As far as the quality of the battery, you have some pretty extreme conditions for a battery to survive. Still i would expect an AGM to at least last one winter.

Something’s not adding up with that story. Interstates warranty varies between battery models but at the very least they offer full replacement within 18 months of purchase, and then scaled replacements for remainder of terms. The MTZ battery I listed has FULL replacement warranty for the whole 48 months.

Aside from that, starting the truck and letting it idle for 10 minutes will drain the battery more than just letting it sit. 10-15 minutes of idling won’t do anything to replenish the battery SOC.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing doing.
Gone.
Warranty changed.
100% pro-rating now.

other than...

Pretty sure you were draining the battery with those short durations vs doing it any favors. Needed to be on a decent battery tender.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I've let mine go for about 1 ½ months when I had my knee replacement surgery.

After roughly three weeks it put itself into a deep sleep mode.

It started right up.