BakFlip and hard off roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what everyone's opinion on Bakflip F1 bed covers and hard offroading? Do they last? Or better is the mounting and everything pretty bullet-proof?

Thanks in advance on any feedback on this!

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the VP which is similar to the F1. I can say it's built pretty well. No issues for me but I don't beat the **** out of my truck. I drive it, but I don't abuse it.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fiber max has held up well. Depends how hard you jump on if it will come undone or not.

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the VP which is similar to the F1. I can say it's built pretty well. No issues for me but I don't beat the **** out of my truck. I drive it, but I don't abuse it.

Thanks for the feedback!
I would consider myself someone who beats the **** out of my truck. Don't want to - but can't help myself...

The fiber max has held up well. Depends how hard you jump on if it will come undone or not.

So occasionally it does come undone when jumping it harder? I am not someone really looking for jumps - but I usually take plenty of hard hits.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've only had it come undone once and that was the section closest to the tailgate. I also had 30 ft of recovery rope and shackles just wrapped up and loose in the bed, so that might have had something to do with it.

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only had it come undone once and that was the section closest to the tailgate. I also had 30 ft of recovery rope and shackles just wrapped up and loose in the bed, so that might have had something to do with it.

That would describe my truck bed often...stuff flying around :) I have been using a soft cover so far and it has worked great - but I am looking for the most durable hard cover solution that is foldable.

seapong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd personally say the F1 holds up pretty damn well. Lots of dirt miles put on my truck and don't notice any issues with the F1.

SVTBuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the F1 on my truck for the past three years and it has held up with no issues on hard off road runs including the El Bandito 500 Baja trip.

Bruce722

Reaction score
Was wondering what everyone's opinion on Bakflip F1 bed covers and hard offroading? Do they last? Or better is the mounting and everything pretty bullet-proof?

Thanks in advance on any feedback on this!

It sounds like I'm one of the few who will suggest avoiding the BakFlip entirely. I have had an F1 for four years now. It's the first thing I did to my 2010 Raptor. There are a few issues you should be aware of.
- The rings on the top, close to the rear window, will rust within a few weeks. I live in Florida where it is a bit more wet and humid than most places so this may be a factor but mine rusted within a month.
- The rail bolting system that locks the cover into your bed will create dimples on your side rails. I knew this in advance and didn't mind, and honestly still don't, but you should know before it surprises you.
- The rail bolting system will require you to retighten it often. If you don't, you'll be adjusting the cover weekly because it will constantly slide up and rub against the rear window, even with casual driving.

These are just my experiences so take it for what you will. I will say this, you might want to check out the Undercover Flex. It's essentially the exact same design and price as the BakFlip but I feel that it corrects some of the flaws. For one, it doesn't use cheap, metal rings that will rust. It uses a hard plastic. It also doesn't rest against the rear of the cab. While I haven't had any issues, I've never really liked that it did that when opened all the way. It also seems a bit sturdier and better built. I have seen the Flex in person and have considered trying to sell my BakFlip and buy the Flex to replace it. Best of luck in your purchasing decision.