BAK Roll-X Install and Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can someone take a picture of their roll-x passenger side rail knob. The knob closest to tailgate that assists the "snapping" of the roll-x. Mine is bent to shit but I might be able to straighten out. Just wondering what its suppose to look like. Thanks

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

I am a bit concerned about the conflict you are having between the the fitment of the knobs and springs. Would it be possible to send me a couple of pics so I can see what is happening. Please send them to [email protected] so I review tham with the Factory.
Thanks,
morrie:rocking:

Yea morrie. I will take some now. Thanks man!:waytogo:

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sending pictures but figured I'd post them up too. This way if anyone else runs into the same problems.

First two pictures are when the Roll-x is rolled up (uncompressed springs).

Last two are when the Roll-x is locked into placed (compressed springs)

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 65

Seeyalater

Reaction score
I'm sending pictures but figured I'd post them up too. This way if anyone else runs into the same problems.

First two pictures are when the Roll-x is rolled up (uncompressed springs).

Last two are when the Roll-x is locked into placed (compressed springs)

Mine are just like that too, pain in the ass to tighten the knobs. Overall, this Roll-X has a terrible design. The locking tabs grab like 1/4" on each side, so it's always popping open, even after I was sent new rails. And only one of the sides gets locked all along the cover because the cover is like 1/2" too narrow.

I'm starting to think it would have been better built if it was made in China.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Mine are just like that too, pain in the ass to tighten the knobs. Overall, this Roll-X has a terrible design. The locking tabs grab like 1/4" on each side, so it's always popping open, even after I was sent new rails. And only one of the sides gets locked all along the cover because the cover is like 1/2" too narrow.

I'm starting to think it would have been better built if it was made in China.

When you're dealing with a mass produced cover, on a mass produced truck it's always possible that something won't fit 100% perfectly and that's just the nature of all things aftermarket. I do not have any of the issues you describe and have been very happy with the overall fitment of the Roll-X. I will admit that it took some time to align everything perfectly, but as it sits now, it's perfect. Have you considered using large fender washers to shim the rails on each side which will remedy both of the problems you describe?

I might do some experimenting later to see if this will affect how the cover fits and locks if it will help you out...

BAKfactoryoutlet

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys: The rail springs are a new upgrade to the rails. i don't even have them on mine. This issue for jrod can be easily resolved by not using the star hand nuts and instead using the standard hex nuts which should have been included with the hardware. The other solution would be to adjust your caver towards the rear by 1/2".

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys: The rail springs are a new upgrade to the rails. i don't even have them on mine. This issue for jrod can be easily resolved by not using the star hand nuts and instead using the standard hex nuts which should have been included with the hardware. The other solution would be to adjust your caver towards the rear by 1/2".

Thanks for the call Morrie. I have those hex nuts but the instructions never called from them. I will replace with the nuts. As said on the phone it rained here last night and the bed was dry. Except for the passenger side rear tailgate... a few drops but you and I are addressing those issues.

The locking tabs grab like 1/4" on each side, so it's always popping open, even after I was sent new rails. And only one of the sides gets locked all along the cover because the cover is like 1/2" too narrow.

I can see a flaw in mine sort of like what you're talking about. At first I noticed the tabs didn't appear to be grabbing completely on the rails. I had to make a few adjustments and get the cover center. It looks good now however the passenger side rail kit just looks weird, something not right with how it guides the tabs on the roll-x when rolling it open and closed. What concerns me is when I'm beating the **** out of the truck I hope the Roll-x and rails don't shift.

I can see some other issues but Morrie is taking care of me so I'll let him do his thing before I report on if mine just has a few flaws or not. I will say this I'm glad I bought from Morrie as he's taking care of this for me.

Last edited:

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I actually noticed this problem after putting mine together and used those hex nuts. Works great! I think I'm going to have to take it all apart though and readjust the rails. The back of the Roll-X doesn't sit perfectly flush against the tailgate and I'm thinking maybe the rails aren't sitting flush with the side of the bed rail and might have a slight upward angle causing this to happen...

MC B2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on the idea for mounting a bicycle fork mount on the bottom of the RollX. I have a design in mind, I just need to do some leg work to see if I can get a prototype machined... It will be 3 pieces, 2 that will sit in the channel and "grab" the lip and a rectangular piece to provide a flat mounting surface for the fork mount. Grade 8 screws will clamp the pieces in place and provide a secure mount.

I have a friend that has a CNC mill, I haven't heard back from him yet... I'm hoping he can knock out a prototype or 2.

Update: After examining the RollX channel system, I think I may have an easier idea. I ordered some aluminum channel ( a 6' length) and will be fabricating some mount points... when I get all the materials, I'll write up a how-to.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/how_to-raptor-rollx-bike-mounts-23175/

Last edited:

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried off-roading with this attached yet? I have a feeling It'll shift or pop-off if locked in place.

MC B2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried off-roading with this attached yet? I have a feeling It'll shift or pop-off if locked in place.

I did some 4 wheeling a couple weekends ago, no issues. The rolling top locks in place when it's closed. There is a "cam" type mechanism that closes over the ends of the slats. I can't see how it would "pop-off" when closed.