BAK Roll-X Install and Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just PM'd Morrie. Hopefully I can pick one of these up and have it installed before a trip the first weekend of Feb. I've been coveting these things since they were released.

Mjburns78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found no difference. What is it hitting? The Roll X rocks

Love her just the way she is....

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If installed properly there should be a little bit of pressure on the tailgate from the rear seal. This ensures that there is a good seal but it could mean a little pressure on the mechanism that holds the tailgate in place causing you to need a little more pull to get it to open.

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If installed properly there should be a little bit of pressure on the tailgate from the rear seal. This ensures that there is a good seal but it could mean a little pressure on the mechanism that holds the tailgate in place causing you to need a little more pull to get it to open.

That's what I figured. Surely it can't mess anything up right? Or at least I hope! I don't mind the tailgate feeling a bit tougher as long as the product does it's job and doesn't cause any damage.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

I found no difference. What is it hitting? The Roll X rocks

Love her just the way she is....

It is the weather seal that is keeping pressure on the gate. I installed with the tailgate closed and made sure that the seal would on the edges was slightly pinched against the tailgate to ensure no leaks.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Anyone experience the tailgate a bit harder to open after install of one?

Make sure the rails aren't touching the top of the tailgate. Other than that I can't think of any reason why it would be harder to open. Although, typically in the past I grab the top of the tailgate while pulling the release and guide it down. With the Roll-x or any tonneau cover installed now you're only pulling from the handle which might feel a little awkward?

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the rails aren't touching the top of the tailgate. Other than that I can't think of any reason why it would be harder to open. Although, typically in the past I grab the top of the tailgate while pulling the release and guide it down. With the Roll-x or any tonneau cover installed now you're only pulling from the handle which might feel a little awkward?

Yeah I only pull from the handle. And I double checked the rails. Honestly think it's cause of the slight pinch on the weather strips that are attached to the rails. It won't kill me to have it like that, again, just didn't want to break anything.