Bak Revolver X4s vs. Retrax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MPRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Retrax XR Pro - very happy with it - small leakage at tailgate corners as stated by Coastal, but I think that resulted from my installation. Hasn’t been a big enuf issue to cause me to reinstall though. No experience with BAK so can’t comment.

racebannon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both are good option. But check out the Lomax. It has been remarkable, and the install was about a 1 beer job.

CodeOrangeGen3

Reaction score
I can tell you I absolutely love the x4s. The install around the tailgate isn't fun, but once you get it in the right place its a perfect fit. Only place I get a little but of water after pressure washing is right at the tailgate. I don't get anything up by the front lip. Looks awesome closed and rolls up surprisingly small by the cab. Highly recommend it.

Crool88

Reaction score
I have the X4S. Couldn't live with the loss of bed space that comes with the Retrax. I just spent the weekend running the desert North of Vegas with a group. The X4S shifted a bit and became misaligned. It won't roll up all the way. Probably take me 10-15 minutes to get it back in alignment. At least I don't have to worry about it getting stuck in a canister. Only other gripe is when it's cold and frost forms, it's thought to roll up. Oh yeah, X4S bed rail installation / alignment can be a pain. May require shims, mine did.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4S is great! Only thing is instructions are vague on the shims and caused me a lot of work. The rails come with the shims installed. But the instructions show a picture of 3 different bed rail shapes and lead you to believe since our rails are basically vertical you need to remove the shims. Do NOT remove the shims! I found if you did the cover didn't ride correctly on the rails and wouldn't lock. I had to start over and put shims back on. (I had the X4 before and that one didn't need any shims-my X4S was a warranty replacement.) BAK customer service is awesome. They also have shims in 1/8 and 1/16 inch thickness. It comes with 1/8 inch shims installed.

KB Voodoo Fabrications

Reaction score
I've owned them both. If I had to choose, I'd pick the Retrax.

The Retrax is easier to open, IMO. It's also nice that you can lock the Retrax, even though I've never actually done that.

Retrax also has the built in rail system for attaching racks and crossbars.

The only drawback to the Retrax is that the canister eats up some bed space, but it's rarely an issue.

I can't comment on water leakage, because I don't care if my truck bed gets water in it.

I currently have the Retrax on my truck, and we swapped the BAK cover to our F-150.

Here are pics of them with our new PRO-X crossbars: https://www.kbvoodoo.com/ford-f150

Pro-X Crossbars F150 Homepage -1.jpg

Raptor PRO-X -1.jpg

Raptor PRO-X -3-2.jpg

Retrax Attach -2.jpg

Raptor2022

Reaction score
Used them both but I'm not sure how they would fare during famous Chicago winters. My BAK was hard to unroll at low 10s but I never had opportunity to use Retrax in the cold. One thing I can say for sure is that both of them let insane amount of dust when I run the desert and it was major PIA to clean it out of Retrax box so I'm opting in on something different for my Gen 3. Both of them kept well in the rain FWIW

DBR2022

Reaction score
My 22 Raptor is in shipment and i'm on the hunt for the easy accessories that I will be needing.

Question: I "want" the Bak X4S just want to confirm that the power tailgate works with the tonneau cover closed?

Let me know if you have experience with this? Thanks!

Raptor2022

Reaction score
My 22 Raptor is in shipment and i'm on the hunt for the easy accessories that I will be needing.

Question: I "want" the Bak X4S just want to confirm that the power tailgate works with the tonneau cover closed?

Let me know if you have experience with this? Thanks!
not sure how it works with power tailgate but I don't see it being an issue. check my thread for more accessories: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/gen-3-cost-effective-mods-for-happier-off-road.90610