Bak Revolver X4s vs. Retrax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Admin.RealTruck

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A little late to this but
Both of these covers have been very popular when it comes to the F150s/Raptors
The main differences between the two are that the BAK X4s being a roll-up covers still gives you essentially fully bed access as the roll stays on top and has a 5 year warranty. The sides of the cover lock into a groove and there is enough tension that if someone was successful in prying the cover up because of the tension they still wouldnt be able to get the cover lifted much. Also this cover can only be opened with the tailgate opened, once the tailgate is closed and locked the cover cannot be opened.

The Retrax covers offer a few options. The RetraxPRO being a double walled aluminum with a lifetime warranty and then the RetraxONE being a polycarbonate material has a 1 year full warranty, then a limited lifetime warranty after the first year at a prorated price. There is also the MX and the XR models, the MX is standard rails while the XR has t-slot integrated rails. These covers do have a 12"x12" cansiter that does sit in the bed so ultimately you do lose some bed space. These covers also have a key lock that alows the cover to be opened while the tailgate is closed and can be locked into any position between opened and closed.

Both these covers are designed to be as water tight as possible, not waterproof, but properly installed and everything working as it should you will on see a few drips here or there.

We offer these as well as every cover on our site at a special rate for forum members, feel free to PM or email us anytime and we will get you quoted!

Last edited:

KB Voodoo Fabrications

Reaction score
OP
OP
R

Ryno8551

Reaction score
I can tell you I absolutely love the x4s. The install around the tailgate isn't fun, but once you get it in the right place its a perfect fit. Only place I get a little but of water after pressure washing is right at the tailgate. I don't get anything up by the front lip. Looks awesome closed and rolls up surprisingly small by the cab. Highly recommend it.
I am messing with tailgate area one side is slightly higher (tailgate) and hitting gasket on rail, can you send some photos of your tailgate and how it fits? Top view and rear view at corner?

ktrent

Reaction score
I have had 3 truck over USA roller covers and my last raptor had a undercover flex. I currently have the revolver on my 22 and absolutely love it. Most water resistant out of the 3. Not as durable as a TCUSA roll cover by any means but you keep all your bed space. I did have to use some spacers on both sides for a perfect fit.

MidnightSpecial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a X4 for ~3 years. I lived in Florida and parked outside year around. The X4 couldnt handle the heat and humidity. The top faded badly and shrunk, edges rolled up, rubber edges were drying out, and the felt to keep the gaps from pinching your hands had totally come away from the cover. I also didn't like how the end of the rails looked. They are just cut straight with sharp edges and no paint.

HOWEVER, I sent this to Bakflip and they replaced it under warranty with a few pictures. I even mentioned I didnt think the X4 can handle the Florida heat. They sent me a brand new MX4 instead.

The MX4 has held up beautifully and has a much better seal. Bakflip is a great company but the X4 cant handle certain climates.

CodeOrangeGen3

Reaction score
I am messing with tailgate area one side is slightly higher (tailgate) and hitting gasket on rail, can you send some photos of your tailgate and how it fits? Top view and rear view at corner?
Hope these help.

Attachments

• IMG_5103.jpg
    IMG_5103.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5104.jpg
    IMG_5104.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5105.jpg
    IMG_5105.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5106.jpg
    IMG_5106.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5107.jpg
    IMG_5107.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 53

ATXtor

Reaction score
Had Revolver for years, X2. Someone broke into my truck, trashing the rear door & window with a crowbar (why not just break the glass they f'd-up my whole door?), and then tried to get into the bed cover. They went at it. but it held strong. It marked-up the rail lock mech "under" the rubber trim, but the rubber trim covered it back up and it barely showed. - tiny nick in one part of rubber trim! They got into my truck no problem, but they never got it the bed! "IMO" it's FAR superiour to others in fit, finish, locking, and bed-space saving. Now black anodized too!!! I'm totally unrelated to Revolver, but their stuff is right. Plus, other brands had "velcro'ish" stuff on the rails... REALLY!? That seems stupidiculous. :)

Last edited: