Bak Revolver X4s vs. Retrax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryno8551

Reaction score
Does anyone one have a good comparison of the 2? Pros and cons? Photos?

Deciding on which one to go with..

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the bak revolver and its predecessors on my Raptors since Gen 1. They have always worked well for me-does a good job keeping things dry, rolls up without blocking your view yet maintain full use of the bed. I have not owned a retrax but think it looks like a great alternative. I especially like being able to add the thule or yakima racks to put bikes, snowboards and surfboards on the back. I do think that canister that takes up bed space is a bit concerning and worry about how the system would perform with snow and ice given how it open and closes. The revolver I have now has 5 years on it and was originally on my Gen 2-been used in the winter snow, sand and salt air and still is in good shape. i due try to avoid getting sand in the rails but otherwise it is really worry free.

When it is time for a replacement, I may finally try the retrax but have nothing but praise for the Bak Revolver.

Reaction score
I am curious about how the revolver sides secure themselves from being peeled up? Is it secured as it makes contact or is it only secured once it is completely out?

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the bak but it has to be better than retrax. I had a retrax on my previous truck and it was absolute trash. It leaked terribly and the leaks were actually through the slats in the cover. It's not like it was leaking around the edges and the seals. Their customer service was even worse than the product. They kept asking the local shop I got it from to make adjustments to it and replace pieces which of course didn't help. The shop got tired of continually trying to fix it but retrax refused to let us return it bc the warranty period expired while they were making efforts to fix it per the requests from retrax. I had to go to war with them on social media to get my money back. Then they told the installer to throw it in the dumpster. They didn't care enough about their product failure to want to look at it and see what might have gone wrong. I think retrax must hire all of the people that the cable company fires for being too inept even for them.

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the BAK Revolver and have been very happy with the product and the customer support is top of the line. I haul dirt bikes so I like the fact that it does not take up any additional bed space. Their is a mechanical mechanism that locks the side tracks when the rear latch gets closed.

CoolrainRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love the way the x4s looks on the truck - low profile and it looks like one piece with no lines etc.
Mine has had lots of rain with little to no moisture getting inside.

(not my truck) - just a premium look compared to what else I see on the road

1646329335190.png

Reaction score
I have the BAK Revolver and have been very happy with the product and the customer support is top of the line. I haul dirt bikes so I like the fact that it does not take up any additional bed space. Their is a mechanical mechanism that locks the side tracks when the rear latch gets closed.
Thanks for the information, this really isn’t covered on any of the install or review videos I have seen.

Coastal

Reaction score
I have retrax on my gen 2 with the Yakima racks. I love it, rolls up nicely in the canister and I don't miss that bed space at all. it does leak a little around tailgate corners, but I haven't had an issue were it's enough to soak through a canvas duffle after 4+ hours in a downpour. I also have had really good experiences with their customer service, but maybe I got lucky. What really sold me was the ability to do the Yakima racks to transport bikes, skis, lumber, ladders, etc.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the revolver x4. Really no issues with it for the last 2+ years I've had it, it repels water well enough, rolls up nicely, and isn't too bad to take completely off if necessary.