Baja Raptor Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgarbs

Reaction score
I just bought tickets to fly up to the Flathead for my yearly trip. If we got a group together I would totally be down to go to Baja for a slower paced trip if anyone wants to go.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

zombiekiller, I just reserved my spot for 2/18/22, 2/22/22. Please PM me with more advice, thank you.​

I will not be on that trip, my truck will most likely still be under the knife. take a peak at the exo website and pay attention to the Dos and Don'ts.

rule numero uno - no oiled air filters. Rule numero dos - leave the pedal commanders ( or any piggyback tuner) at home. they cause issues.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oiled air filters collect dirt in the oil. There is A LOT of dirt off-road. They are too difficult to clean on the trail. Just a bad idea. Bring a couple paper ones and spend 2 minutes swapping.

I normally swap every 1 to 2 days, depending on time spent in someone's dust. That is tough to do with an oiled filter. Most people don't like throwing away their $60+ filter.

Also, they let more air through...more air means more dirt also comes through, which is probably fine on the street, but definitely not good off-road

Last edited:

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oiled air filters collect dirt in the oil. There is A LOT of dirt off-road. They are too difficult to clean on the trail. Just a bad idea. Bring a couple paper ones and spend 2 minutes swapping.

I normally swap ever 1 to 2 days, depending on time spent in someone's dust. That is tough to do with an oiled filter. Most people don't like throwing away their $60+ filter.

Also, they let more air through...more air means more dirt also comes through, which is probably fine on the street, but definitely not good off-road
I've heard all these reasons regurgitated, just wondering if there were any other reasons. On every off-road trip i've been on, I never sit in someone's dust, you hang back and let it settle, so im not eating that much dust all the time. We go by the rule that you wait at any direction change until the following truck shows up, so it makes it possible to hang back without getting lost. Silt is another story.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard all these reasons regurgitated, just wondering if there were any other reasons. On every off-road trip i've been on, I never sit in someone's dust, you hang back and let it settle, so im not eating that much dust all the time. We go by the rule that you wait at any direction change until the following truck shows up, so it makes it possible to hang back without getting lost. Silt is another story.
You asked. Those are the reasons. The biggest reason is why run oiled cloth? To gain 5hp and potentially let more dirt in your engine? No thanks.

Unexpected things happen off-road. Silt beds are a great example. Some days there is just no wind, the dust hangs in the air, and it isn't feasible to wait until it is completely clear (always seems to happen around dusk). I remember hitting very unexpected mud in AZ and it got everywhere, including inside the air box. It is easier to plan for replacing a couple paper filters than oiled cloth...especially when the benefits of oiled cloth just aren't enough to justify any additional extra risk.

Oh, just remembered another time running with Raptor Expeditions (I've been around a while) where we ran into a military convoy around Fort Irwin. They were throwing up dust for miles doing 35mph and we had to pass them. **** happens.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You asked. Those are the reasons. The biggest reason is why run oiled cloth? To gain 5hp and potentially let more dirt in your engine? No thanks.

Unexpected things happen off-road. Silt beds are a great example. Some days there is just no wind, the dust hangs in the air, and it isn't feasible to wait until it is completely clear (always seems to happen around dusk). I remember hitting very unexpected mud in AZ and it got everywhere, including inside the air box. It is easier to plan for replacing a couple paper filters than oiled cloth...especially when the benefits of oiled cloth just aren't enough to justify any additional extra risk.

Oh, just remembered another time running with Raptor Expeditions (I've been around a while) where we ran into a military convoy around Fort Irwin. They were throwing up dust for miles doing 35mph and we had to pass them. **** happens.
Your concern for my engine longevity is noted, but what I'm asking is why has that been made rule numero uno for the trips? Has someone with an oiled filter lost an engine on the trip, has someone stopped the group while they cleared an oiled filter so the engine would run, did a guy get held up at a Federale checkpoint while they ran the CARB number, or do they cause the wasting of too much time on a beach while people debate the merits of open element or factory filters over too many Tecates? Your reasons sound like good advice for someone looking to know if it's a good or bad idea to purchase, but I was curious to know if it had any past impacts to trip success.