Baja Raptor Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your concern for my engine longevity is noted, but what I'm asking is why has that been made rule numero uno for the trips? Has someone with an oiled filter lost an engine on the trip, has someone stopped the group while they cleared an oiled filter so the engine would run, did a guy get held up at a Federale checkpoint while they ran the CARB number, or do they cause the wasting of too much time on a beach while people debate the merits of open element or factory filters over too many Tecates? Your reasons sound like good advice for someone looking to know if it's a good or bad idea to purchase, but I was curious to know if it had any past impacts to trip success.
Ahhhh....I get what you're saying now. You were more looking for war stories. First and foremost, I disagree with your premise; there is no such thing as too many Tecates.

Seriously though, I haven't been on a run that an air filter was the cause of a delay. An air filter isn't the type of thing that would hold up the group. Most people run with 2 or 3, so if you did have an oiled one that needed replaced, someone would just give you a paper one and we'd be on our way. I'm also curious to hear any war stories.

The closest I have is the first "Ultimate Expedition" with EXO. It was so incredibly muddy; a woman at a gas station asked me what color my truck was because her friend and her disagreed and couldn't tell. I definitely had mud in the air filter and everywhere else. Anyone with an oiled filter sure would have had to clean it once we got to the hotel, but it is hard to imagine a scenario that it would bring the run to a complete stop.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Interested to know a bit more on this one, didnt see it on the website.
say what you want about being in other people's dust...

One silt bed will smoke your oiled filter. The whole thing will become caked and impermeable. The oil will also sometimes foul intake sensors. ( I literally carry 4 spares because someone ALWAYS needs one and they are not a part that is easily had in AutoZone south of the border).

even with a dry filter and a prefilter sock, silt can make the prefilter look like cardboard.

I'll also add that you REALLY need to show up with the brightest chase light possible. It is also a lot nicer if it is someplace higher than your bumper.

beyond that, have a GPS option that isn't your phone ( iPad or lowrance) and a vehicle-mounted radio that is 50w or better ( no handhelds. they don't have enough range)

example: I use a Donaldson tractor filter. These filters are designed for farm machinery and are rated in road-going vehicles for 100K miles. I have to shake the filter out every night and replace it after each trip. (approximately 800-2000 miles offroad)

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Your concern for my engine longevity is noted, but what I'm asking is why has that been made rule numero uno for the trips? Has someone with an oiled filter lost an engine on the trip, has someone stopped the group while they cleared an oiled filter so the engine would run, did a guy get held up at a Federale checkpoint while they ran the CARB number, or do they cause the wasting of too much time on a beach while people debate the merits of open element or factory filters over too many Tecates? Your reasons sound like good advice for someone looking to know if it's a good or bad idea to purchase, but I was curious to know if it had any past impacts to trip success.
1. There is no place to rinse a filter.

2. Waiting for the filter to dry after washing will slow the entire group down by hours

3. to my point earlier, the oil can and will foul intake sensors. these are finite resources. (in most cases, if the crew doesn't have the spare, you arent going to find it.)

4. Ive seen an oiled filter get so clogged that the truck started throwing "obstructed intake" codes which put the truck into limp mode repeatedly.

5. Ive seen another truck start to backfire and pop, only to throw even mode codes. It sounded like it spun a bearing until I replaced the filter and did a KAM reset).

At the end of the day, using a dry filter avoids the consequences of oiled filters. Any time a truck has an avoidable mechanical issue, it slows the group down.

If the group is 20 trucks, someone is going to break something. When you are covering 200+ offroad miles in a day, with a planned on-trail time of 8-10 hours, every 15-20 minute stop to repair something avoidable means that the entire group isn't eating dinner until 830-9pm ( which isn't the most awesome thing).

So if for no other reason, show up with a dry filter to be polite. Baja trips are a team sport.

I hope you don't take this as inflammatory. I'm just sharing my experience ( and I agree with you that a good reason is worth its weight in gold).

I've been on trips as an attendee and as part of the crew. The other attendees and the crew will really appreciate your willingness to help minimize avoidable situations and the consequences that come with them.

Cheers! and you're going to love the experience.

- Dave

Krlos

Reaction score
I will not be on that trip, my truck will most likely still be under the knife. take a peak at the exo website and pay attention to the Dos and Don'ts.

rule numero uno - no oiled air filters. Rule numero dos - leave the pedal commanders ( or any piggyback tuner) at home. they cause issues.
Thank you, well noted❗❗❗

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. There is no place to rinse a filter.

2. Waiting for the filter to dry after washing will slow the entire group down by hours

3. to my point earlier, the oil can and will foul intake sensors. these are finite resources. (in most cases, if the crew doesn't have the spare, you arent going to find it.)

4. Ive seen an oiled filter get so clogged that the truck started throwing "obstructed intake" codes which put the truck into limp mode repeatedly.

5. Ive seen another truck start to backfire and pop, only to throw even mode codes. It sounded like it spun a bearing until I replaced the filter and did a KAM reset).

At the end of the day, using a dry filter avoids the consequences of oiled filters. Any time a truck has an avoidable mechanical issue, it slows the group down.

If the group is 20 trucks, someone is going to break something. When you are covering 200+ offroad miles in a day, with a planned on-trail time of 8-10 hours, every 15-20 minute stop to repair something avoidable means that the entire group isn't eating dinner until 830-9pm ( which isn't the most awesome thing).

So if for no other reason, show up with a dry filter to be polite. Baja trips are a team sport.

I hope you don't take this as inflammatory. I'm just sharing my experience ( and I agree with you that a good reason is worth its weight in gold).

I've been on trips as an attendee and as part of the crew. The other attendees and the crew will really appreciate your willingness to help minimize avoidable situations and the consequences that come with them.

Cheers! and you're going to love the experience.

- Dave
Appreciate it, i can understand the points made. No offense taken. The usual reasons are understood, but i was assuming there might be some bigger failures surrounding them that I was interested to hear. Our groups are generally small affairs with friends, so a breakdown here and there is expected for no reason other than to drink beer and talk **** while you hand them tools. I havent been able to get in as many trips as I wanted when I got the Raptor due to kids and COVID, so i'm still looking to understand the common failure points.

We're heading out Friday morning for a trip to the San Felipe area, hitting the Compadre trail, maybe Laguna Hanson, Puertecitos, etc. Or maybe just hang out for awhile in Percebu with some shrimp quesadillas and bowls of alcohol :D

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Appreciate it, i can understand the points made. No offense taken. The usual reasons are understood, but i was assuming there might be some bigger failures surrounding them that I was interested to hear. Our groups are generally small affairs with friends, so a breakdown here and there is expected for no reason other than to drink beer and talk **** while you hand them tools. I havent been able to get in as many trips as I wanted when I got the Raptor due to kids and COVID, so i'm still looking to understand the common failure points.

We're heading out Friday morning for a trip to the San Felipe area, hitting the Compadre trail, maybe Laguna Hanson, Puertecitos, etc. Or maybe just hang out for awhile in Percebu with some shrimp quesadillas and bowls of alcohol :D
If you don't stop in valley t for tacos, you're missing out. Have a safe, fun trip!

Btw, the more serious impact is, if that intake sensor fouls, you're stuck in limp mode with no boost until you fix it. It is not enjoyable.

OP
OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Just watched the latest video, still looks fun!

What I’d like to see is something like this with a combo of Raptor’s and TRX’s. I had a Raptor, so I know how good it was. While the TRX will always be fine for what I need it to do, an honest comparison of these trucks running the same course at the same time would be the true test to me.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXO is absolutely not a Raptor only group. I've seen many different vehicles out with them. That said, with non-Raptor's, you have to be a little more self-sufficient. They aren't going to have a slew of spare parts like they do for the Raptors. The crew all drive Raptors and historically the runs have been overwhelmingly Raptor heavy, so most spare parts they carry are for Raptors.

All the same prep would be required...2 spares, VHF, GPS, etc. I'd start with a shorter run just to get the feel for it. You can always e-mail them and confirm as I speak in no official capacity.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't stop in valley t for tacos, you're missing out. Have a safe, fun trip!

Btw, the more serious impact is, if that intake sensor fouls, you're stuck in limp mode with no boost until you fix it. It is not enjoyable.
Indeed worth it

Attachments

• PXL_20211022_220624591.jpg
    PXL_20211022_220624591.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 9