GEN 2 Baja Designs "Unlimited" front bumper light kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You are way too organized ! :flipthebird:

I just finished mounting 4 B/D cubes in the bumper slots using a home made bracket. I struggled with the harness too, it’s too short between the lights but you get enough wire after the connecter to reach a 2nd Raptor ! @BajaDesigns- development opportunity on the wiring harness here.

I ran the connectors back, against the frame where the rear of the front skid plate covers. There’s already a couple harnesses there, I zip tied to them.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my .02-
the lights themselves are friggin awesome, however I found a couple of things like Halo did that weren't so hot...
Because I didn't want my harness to be low across the bottom of the support,I made my own extensions for the driver side harnesses so I could get up to the top of the radiator support and over.
The 4 squadrons got run to a relay because IMO the draw was too close to 15 amps and it's just better to run through a relay anyway.
I thought I got a badly made set of brackets because the reveals to the bumper sucked. I ended up remilling the mounting holes so the lights laid decently equal to the bumper.

Attachments

• 20171007_180643.jpg
    20171007_180643.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 163
OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my .02-
the lights themselves are friggin awesome, however I found a couple of things like Halo did that weren't so hot...
Because I didn't want my harness to be low across the bottom of the support,I made my own extensions for the driver side harnesses so I could get up to the top of the radiator support and over.
The 4 squadrons got run to a relay because IMO the draw was too close to 15 amps and it's just better to run through a relay anyway.
I thought I got a badly made set of brackets because the reveals to the bumper sucked. I ended up remilling the mounting holes so the lights laid decently equal to the bumper.

I mean, its .25 amp for each light. if they are accurate you'll never have a problem.

I may do the same thing and mill the hole out to set the lights back a smidge.
I may say eff it and let it be.

All in all, this was kinda a little let down when you spend this type of premium cheese to have some **** kinda not go perfectly. I would've expected this with "sub par" lights and/or kits. Not the king of lights.

mcmiked97

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me as well. Now I have to run to Home Depot or Lowes to get replacements. Do you happen to know the specs?

Attachments

• 94829d1512860451t-baja-designs-unlimited-front-bumper-light-kit-install-abrhouston-42-.jpg
    94829d1512860451t-baja-designs-unlimited-front-bumper-light-kit-install-abrhouston-42-.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 269

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me as well. Now I have to run to Home Depot or Lowes to get replacements. Do you happen to know the specs?

a-ha! so I’m not the only one this happened to.

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a huge bolt bin and found something that works.
FWIW shame on me, i should have put anti seize on it, as all stainless fasteners should have to lower the chance of this happening.

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update- the S2's weren't coming on for some reason last night.
Some investigation and the ground lugs that are on the firewall have come loose from their crimp termination.
That sucks. These were all crimped at BD.
So, that also means I suspect all of the other crimps the entire harness has could do the same thing :/
I'll be reterminating the 2 ring terminals on the ground lug, and keeping an eye on the other stuff.

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that may be one way of doing it- it's literally 2 ring terminals and I know how to properly terminate connectors. Just sucks that the quality of the harness isn't there like the lights.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So do all the Baja Designs come with such easy wiring hookup ?!

The Raptor Specific kits include wiring that makes them plug and play. Out of the box the Baja Designs Fog Kits allow you to control the lights from TWO upfitters (2 pairs share 1 upfitter light). However in true Baja Designs fashion if you wanted to control all 3 pairs from 3 upfitters, it's a simple plug and play harness you just add-on. Real simple.

We offer this additional harness for a low price in our kits here: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/raptor-2017-lighting-kits/

Nice write-up halo