Bad mis fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crash45

Reaction score
Team, had a bad miss fire yesterday. Almost caused a pretty bad wreck. I was driving back from a ranch weekend. Truck sat in pretty low temps from Thursday to Sunday in 15-30 degree weather. I have been getting the cam phaser rattle every now and then and was surprised when I started it Sunday it didn’t rattle. I let the warm up for about 20 mins while I loaded up my gear before my five+ hour drive home. I stopped right by the ranch to fill up. I was in OKlahoma and they only had 91 and I normally run 93, but I didn’t have a choice. Drove straight thru with no more stops. The first hour or so I was running 75-80 in sport mode bc I always drive in sport mode. Then towards the middle of the drive I started picking up the pace. There was a decent amount of traffic so I was pushing the truck pretty hard to get around traffic packs. The rest of the way home I was running 90-107 but staying around the 90-92 typical speed. Slight drizzle the entire trip so 100% humidity. With about ten miles to go, everything seemed great, truck feeling strong, I came to a spot where the HOV lane dumps into the fast lane of the freeway where I was. There was some aggressive merging in a short distance that reshuffled the deck so to speak. A car in front of me was going pretty slow and there was a gap to pass them on the right. I was prob going 70 and I gave her some gas (not allot, but just that right amount to get her to kick down a couple gears) and she started her normal down shift and ****! Engine dies, oil pressure warming light goes off, oil gauge at ZERO, speed dumping. Car in that lane almost slams into my back. Engine running again (started back by itself) oil pressure still ZERO, I want to shut this thing down ASAP, so I’m dumping speed with my hazards on cutting across 6 lanes of pissed off traffic headed to the next ramp. Truck is still running. Oil pressure gauge has one little sliver of red line on the gauge and the oil light is red when normally it’s white. So I pull over, pissed and worried, and pop the hood to take a look. Engine bay wasn’t really even warm. Checked the oil at least five times. Smelled kinda normal for oil half way thru an oil change. It was full. Started the truck, seemed normal. Oil pressure normal, oil light white. Sat there for a bit letting it run thinking WTF! Drove another 10 miles home very slowly. Didn’t push it to see if it was truely “normal” because I was pretty worried about her. I’m not sure what to make of this. Bad gas? Oil pressure light went off bc of misfire or something else? It stayed red at zero till I restarted it, but did it just need to be reset or was I at zero until I shut it down? Someone make me feel better please. Lol...

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are experiencing what others have. Recommend getting to the dealer asap since you can't let the cam phaser rattle go. Get that fixed, and I bet you they put the new design valve covers on. Once they tear into the engine, they will determine if the whole thing needs replaced.
These random misfires are really dangerous. I have experienced it a few times and it I am glad that it didn't cause an accident.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are experiencing what others have. Recommend getting to the dealer asap since you can't let the cam phaser rattle go. Get that fixed, and I bet you they put the new design valve covers on. Once they tear into the engine, they will determine if the whole thing needs replaced.
These random misfires are really dangerous. I have experienced it a few times and it I am glad that it didn't cause an accident.
Would you recommend drilling a weep hole?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Of course, you get what you pay for and in the case of kid ignoramus you get free and completely wrong troubleshooting advice.

as others have noted, kid ignoramus is really sasquatch77, the notorious liar and FRF troll.
have a dealer pull codes to see what’s what. probably a bad oil pressure sensor if you actually had oil and it wasn’t low.