Backed into a telephone pole.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drill a tiny hole to let the water drain then seal it back up.

Don't need to. The BLIS module unscrews off, so the water can drain out right there. You can even hand dry much of the inside this way. There is still some moisture in places I couldn't reach, but not too worried about that.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seemed like a ton of water in the lens for such a small crack, any chance the impact deformed and maybe split the upper edge along the seam?

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That seemed like a ton of water in the lens for such a small crack, any chance the impact deformed and maybe split the upper edge along the seam?

I didn't think of that. I did not see any other cracks or split seems while I was removing the water and sealing up the crack. It's supposed to rain again later this week, and will definitely take off the tail light afterwards to see how it holds up afterwards. It's rather easy to do, so I may take another look before then if I get a chance.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In case anyone is curious, this is the BLIS module. Huge heat sink on the back.517ccf6911a3d44ad6a2d50db6b61fef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

marcm

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I happen to have both (new 2019 rear bumper & tail lights) from my Raptor?

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I say anything else, yes, I'm an idiot. The pole is located at the end of a friend's driveway, a house I'd never been at before. The driveway is mostly straight, except for a slight curve to the right at the street...because of the pole. So if you back straight out, you hit the pole. Yes, the collision sensor went off. The rear view camera was useless since it was raining. Did a quick visual check and didn't see anything. Since I've gotten false positives from the sensor before, and saw no reason for there to be any obstructions, I proceeded to back out.

Damage appears to be minimal. The driver's side of the rear bumper was pushed in slightly, maybe a half inch. No visible marks on the bumper. Not sure if the bumper was damaged or a bracket behind the bumper. About a week or two later, I noticed in crack in the driver's side tail light. Very small, even hard to find when you're looking for it. But yesterday, I noticed that there's moisture in the tail light.

So my questions are...do I need to be worried about the tail light? Will the moisture cause a short or additional damage, or should I just leave it alone until the light goes out? I'd obviously rather not replace the light if I don't have to.

Although I'm less worried on the bumper, and realize I get a complete answer here, but what's the likely damage? I tend to think the mounting bracket ($50) would need to be replaced, but could it be the bumper ($390) or reinforcement ($500)? I suppose I just need to take it to a body shop to get an actual estimate.

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...gine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat

I would say the biggest mistake was ignoring the sensor warning. Doesnt matter how many false alarms you’ve gotten, you should stop every single time.

That could be a human walking behind the car or an animal or something. If the sensor is giving you too many false positives, have it checked or replaced.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh man this sounds like a no-brainer! Loosen the bumper bracket, see if it adjusts out at all, sometimes they are slotted.

I think you're correct at that. I have a neighbor who's much more familiar with stuff then that took a look at it last night. He had the same conclusion. Loosen the bolts and see if you can adjust it. If not just leave it since no one would notice the bumper is off line without looking for it. I'll look at that his weekend.

I actually hadn't talked much to this neighbor before, pretty cool guy. He offered to help with the bumper or any mods I ever wanted to do. He owns several cars/trucks between himself, wife, and kids...some of them project cars.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say the biggest mistake was ignoring the sensor warning. Doesnt matter how many false alarms you’ve gotten, you should stop every single time.

That could be a human walking behind the car or an animal or something. If the sensor is giving you too many false positives, have it checked or replaced.

That's what I did. I stopped. Took a look at the rear camera- nothing. Took a look at the rear view mirror - nothing. Turn my head around to look and didn't see anything. What more was I to do? Get out of the truck and walk back there? I'm not saying it wasn't my fault, I could have looked further or something, but I don't think I was negligent.

By false positives, I mean that the sensor has picked up a curb or piece of wood on the road. Not always, but sometimes. I'd rather have it to sensitive than not enough.

SuperX1964

Reaction score
I've done the same thing...parking garage! The factory bumper is a 3 part configuration...left wing, middle and right wing. You can buy the side you need individually from eBay or as I did from a custom shop that had take off parts. eBay sellers ask around $175, I paid $50. Mine also came with the mounting bracket and hardware. If you just tapped it, you can likely straighten the bracket, otherwise its 4 bolts, two back up sensors (you'll want to pay attention to these in the future ;) ), trailer plug, license plate bulb. You'll have to remove the entire plastic step/bumper cover (its hard to access on bolt without doing so). Take your time and pre-pinch all plastic tabs that hold the cover to the bumper. Also, from left to right or vise versa lift away as you pinch...do not just start pulling up as you will rip off or damage half of these flimsy plastic tabs. Best of luck.