Backed into a telephone pole.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've done the same thing...parking garage! The factory bumper is a 3 part configuration...left wing, middle and right wing. You can buy the side you need individually from eBay or as I did from a custom shop that had take off parts. eBay sellers ask around $175, I paid $50. Mine also came with the mounting bracket and hardware. If you just tapped it, you can likely straighten the bracket, otherwise its 4 bolts, two back up sensors (you'll want to pay attention to these in the future ;) ), trailer plug, license plate bulb. You'll have to remove the entire plastic step/bumper cover (its hard to access on bolt without doing so). Take your time and pre-pinch all plastic tabs that hold the cover to the bumper. Also, from left to right or vise versa lift away as you pinch...do not just start pulling up as you will rip off or damage half of these flimsy plastic tabs. Best of luck.

If I can't straighten it, or have to pull it apart to do so, I'll just leave it alone I think. It bothers me personally, but no one else is going to notice unless I point it out.

But just in case, which shop did you go to? I'm in League City.

alphablue

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Melvinbe,
I think many of us have done this. I did the exact same thing at the post office a few months ago, backed in to a light pole, accelerated back to fast. Pushed in my passenger side wing of the bumper. It's an easy fix to replace those little bumper pieces, just a couple bolts. I bought a set and only used my passenger side.... I have just the drivers side repair part (hl3z-17906ab) for a 17-19 Raptor. I also replaced the #14 step pad (hl3z-17b807cb) because a bunch of the little tabs broke off and it wouldn't clip down right. I had no other damage. Let me know if you are interested in the drivers side bumper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @alphablue

Just realized I hadn't posted an image of the bumper yet. Hard to see, but there should be a gap behind the bumper of about a half inch. 4d577566ec6ef2bcb6de08497ae316ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm really not kidding here but you could always use the Oak-A-Liner! You know, putting a strap around a tree and the bumper to see if you pull it out a little. If you can be very, very careful and just let it creep forward it will pull back out if you can't get it by adjusting.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I did. I stopped. Took a look at the rear camera- nothing. Took a look at the rear view mirror - nothing. Turn my head around to look and didn't see anything. What more was I to do? Get out of the truck and walk back there? I'm not saying it wasn't my fault, I could have looked further or something, but I don't think I was negligent.

By false positives, I mean that the sensor has picked up a curb or piece of wood on the road. Not always, but sometimes. I'd rather have it to sensitive than not enough.

It's ok, poop happens. I don't think you were negligent. But I am just paranoid about back up sensors going off, both because I backed up into a concrete column once and also because I've read stories about kids getting run over as their parents backed out of the drive way. Especially with the Raptors being so high, you wouldn't see a kid running behind the truck in the rear view mirror, and I don't always trust the camera.

Anyway, glad the damage is minor (relatively). May be take the opportunity to replace the damaged bumper with an ADD rear bumper? Those ADDs are pretty nice!

rhd555

Reaction score
Nearly did exact same thing missed by a mmeter. Not sure how I missed it but was so lucky. Hard to guess distance even when ur paying attention. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before I hit a pole

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tail light is doing just fine. There's some moisture in there I could not fully remove, but after sealing it up tight, no additional water has gotten into the light.