Back Up Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wired mine to AUX 4 and did not swap any fuses in the box. Instead, I just used an additional inline 5 AMP fuse. I did that because I wanted to make sure I had a fuse in front of the lights from both sources - AUX and the reverse lights. I used one of those kinds with a rubber seal over the fuse so water was not a concern.

fshol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone has noticed how weak the stock back-up lights are on the Raptor, as they are on most trucks. Amazon has a PIAA #1540 kit for $130.95+shipping. I was looking for a complete kit Lights, wiring, relay etc. The lights come on when shifting in to reverse, also liked the low profile style of these lights they would tuck up nice under the rear bumper. So, I decided to give it a shot. When the kit arrived, I was pleased with the quality and the instructions were easy to understand. The install was freely easy I used the existing two bumper bolts to mount the light, ran the wires through the right frame rail, taped in to the right side reverse light wire (Blue with white tracer) to switch the lights on when shifting in to reverse and mounted the relay next to the battery using an existing bolt that holds the A/C lines in place. I have not wired the lights to one of the “Up fitter Switches”, yet, that’s next. All and all it’s a nice package I am happy with the light output and I would recommend it.

Amazon.com: PIAA 1540 1500 Clear Flood Back-Up Lamp - Set of 2: Automotive

This is a mod that I could really use. Only thing is that I would prefer mounting the lights in the bumper, since i know that when i mount them under the bumper they won't live very long. Finding a light (or set of lights) will not be the problem, but I haven't seen a good mounting solution yet. I will probably have to create something myself. The same thing for the rear fog light that is mandatory over here.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are concerned about durability, check out the duallys. Those things are INCREDIBLY robust. Also, the "under the truck" mounting is very much tucked into a location where it would be difficult to hurt the lights. If you damaged them there, you have bigger problems with damage to the frame and suspension mounts.

Where is "over here"?

fshol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are concerned about durability, check out the duallys. Those things are INCREDIBLY robust. Also, the "under the truck" mounting is very much tucked into a location where it would be difficult to hurt the lights. If you damaged them there, you have bigger problems with damage to the frame and suspension mounts.

Where is "over here"?
The Netherlands

Also want to do this because of looks. Don't like the "loose" objects on the truck, want to keep it as clean as possible. I found some very bright flat LED-lights (reverse and fog) that can easily be mounted in/on the bumper.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds cool. One thing you could try is a set of LEDs under the tailgate and above the bumper (in the recess). There are kits for this. I was leaning this way but got waved off by some of the complaints about LED bulbs failing. If you do something where you cut the bumper and mount them flush, post pics...

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Netherlands

Also want to do this because of looks. Don't like the "loose" objects on the truck, want to keep it as clean as possible. I found some very bright flat LED-lights (reverse and fog) that can easily be mounted in/on the bumper.
We are going to need pics.