Auto Start Stop retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I was the only one that appreciated having it on my truck. If you are able to get it working look into the start/stop eliminator dongle. It keeps the switch in whatever mode you had it in and doesn’t reset to on every time the truck is started. I keep mine off and turn it on in heavy traffic or when stopped for some reason.
So do a test, use it for a tank of gas then turn it off for a tank of gas, keep track of your mileage then report back. I highly doubt its worth the time.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do a test, use it for a tank of gas then turn it off for a tank of gas, keep track of your mileage then report back. I highly doubt its worth the time.
I don’t really use it for gas mileage, it’s more for road closures or dead stop traffic. Turn it on, and I don’t have to think about turning the truck on and off as we inch forward or wait to be flagged through.
I also don’t have to sit there for a long time just idling and the truck will kick on when the battery gets low.
I don’t use it for normal red lights and find it annoying like everyone else. I also agree that if the choice is between the way the it comes from ford (resetting to on every time) or not having it, I’d opt for it to be removed. Adding the dongle makes it operate the way it should, selectable by the driver, staying off until you want it on.

Last edited:

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure the savings only adds up on the fleet number side of things for the big manufacturers. fraction of saving for you and me adds up to a lot for them. something to show the EPA. I like it but assume its more a selling feature. I like it for traffic jambs and like above said for long delays. that is the only reason I would have liked it. I don't miss it. but liked the option. Actually the minuscule saving you may see in MPG would be offset by the wear and tear on your starter and battery. I have to imagine it shortens the life of both of them by all the extra starts.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto stop start only really works right (from a comfort point of view) with a 48v system with a separate motor tied to the crank or in the tranny.

Seeing that fords system is alternator based I would probably check if the auto stop start limitation is lack of the heavy duty alternator designed for it. You would not want to software enable it on a std alternator

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to disable mine in Forscan with no luck its hard to crack on the Gen 3 modesl. I installed this and it works prefect defaults to off when the truck starts automatically.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I could honestly care less about gas mileage, not why I bought the truck. I hated the start stop on my Gen 2, I deleted it from my Gen 3 and don't miss it all. It seemed like it always turned the truck off at the worst times.

There is probably a way to get it back but don't let it be a deal breaker. Good luck!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I tried to disable mine in Forscan with no luck its hard to crack on the Gen 3 modesl. I installed this and it works prefect defaults to off when the truck starts automatically.

The eliminator is a bit pricey for what you get, but works as designed. You can do a jumper on the harness to shut it off permanently as well.

The last time I looked, disabling the auto stop/start via FORSCAN also disabled the battery management system (BMS). This is not a good thing.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
FYI, the reason it was deleted at the factory was to save a "chip" so not sure how you add the button without a "chip" to support it. If you barely move your foot off the pressure on the brake it engages back anyway so not sure how it really helps in real world. I really don't believe you will see MPG increase in real world unless you sit at stop lights for long periods of time without moving pressure on your foot...

OP
OP
Tommy21

Tommy21

Reaction score
It was more of a thought where, if it was easy to add, why not? I’ve had auto start stop in other vehicles and it never bothered me. Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic is part of my life, if I could save a few gallons for a button install.. worth it. But it sounds more in depth.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like it, I'm not sure why anyone would care to not have it. Makes no difference at all to your driving except being a tiny bit better on fuel and emissions.