Auto start stop off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ch
I just got a 2017 Avalanche gen 2 with 60k miles. The autostart/stop never kicks in (which is good). What does this mean? Is there any way to find out how the previous owner did it? Tune/programmer etc.

Thanks

If your battery is worn down, it will also deactivate ASS.

The Battery Management System is supposed to monitor the battery state and regulate the charging to maximize its life. BMS can get deactivated via Forscan to disable ASS. But BMS will also deactivate ASS if it detects the battery’s state is too degraded.

With a 2017, it’s hard to tell what state your battery is in. It should be charging around 14.9’ish volts.

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he used forscan he probably did other changes too. Do you have a seatbelt reminder chime? Do your mirrors stay closed in when open a passenger door? I can't remember the other popular forscan changes.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ch

If your battery is worn down, it will also deactivate ASS.

The Battery Management System is supposed to monitor the battery state and regulate the charging to maximize its life. BMS can get deactivated via Forscan to disable ASS. But BMS will also deactivate ASS if it detects the battery’s state is too degraded.

With a 2017, it’s hard to tell what state your battery is in. It should be charging around 14.9’ish volts.
This is a good bet. When I first bought my truck it had been on the dealer lot for weeks. The battery was low, so auto start/stop didn’t activate. Once I had been driving it regularly for a few days it became normal. So had to use Forscan to turn it off. Be careful what you wish for!

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bought mine new and never work.
Sign A cross come on all the time?

avalanchegrey

Reaction score
Mine rarely does it and I’ve not done anything. It seems to avoid it in 4A and on short trips. If you pull it up on the dash it’ll tell you when it’s on purpose and why. Ie ‘disabled due to vehicle charging’ or something.
⬆️
That.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought mine new and never work.
Sign A cross come on all the time?
Must have sat on the lot long because it sounds like your battery is degraded. If that happens auto start-stop won’t function. Should be a warranty issue.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no,never sat on the lot.
last oil change ask about battery and was fine.