Audio upgrade problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 SCrew with factory nav. I upgraded the speakers and sub today and added 2 amps. The sound is great but there is a slight problem with the system and the installer is saying that’s the way it is and they can’t fix it. I’m assuming they are wrong or I would have heard about this before. The system does different things depending on the way I turn the truck off.

Scenario 1: Turn the truck off and do not open the doors.

The head unit stays on and then turns off when the doors open, just like before the upgrade. The amps turn off for about 3 to 4 sec. then they turn back on by themselves and stay on. They do not turn off when the door opens.

Scenario 2: Just like scenario 1 but I open the door prior to the amps turning themselves back on.

The head unit will stay on until the door opens and the amps do not turn back on.

Scenario 3: Open the doors prior to turning the truck off.

Head unit and amps turn off when you turn the key off as expected.

Hope that makes sense, any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
R

rsike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planing on doing that but I'm leaving the country on Monday so it will probably have to wait until I get back. What I don't understand is why the amps turn back on after a few sec. I could see them turning off when I turn the key off or working the way the stock one does but not this once they come back on they stay on thing.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the installer used a high to low adapter that generated an amp turn on then you could have these problems. It uses speaker signal to turn on the amp. I know in bmws if you use one, it turns on the amp as soon as you open a door. The same general issue you could be having. I hate those converters. But you will have to take apart your truck to find where the amp turn on is currently connected

Ludski

Reaction score
will they turn off after you open the door and they turn back on? reason i ask is because when you open the door and leave, the lights stay on for a little bit. but eventually turn off.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lights should have nothing to do with the amp turn on. The dome light delay is a courtesy feature not tied into the audio system

OP
OP
R

rsike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time that they do not turn back on is when I open the door before I turn the truck off. Sometimes if I open the door as soon as I turn the truck off they will not turn back on. Just a few min ago I was getting out of the truck and they turned on, the only way I could get them off was to open the door put the key back in the ignition and turn it to the on position. When I turned the key off with the door still open they turned off.