attn light bar manufacturers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from hearing about how thefts of lightbars are not uncommon, i was tinkering with one of my lightbars. i have found a way to help secure the lightbar by having it attatched to an aftermarket alarm. the only downfall is that it required me to have an extra wire coming out of the light. if the lighting manufacturers could add an extra wire in the original harness, it wouldnt look out of the norm and nobody would know. that way, if anyone tries to unplug or cut the wire harness, it would trigger whatever alarm aystem you have on your vehicle.

so my question to the lightbar manufacturers, how feasible is it to have an extra wire built into the original harness? and to have it at the end of the harness with the connection. and is it not cost effective to do so?

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rigid makes custom bars. I'm sure if you contact them, they can provide that for you.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like to have a setup where it would Fry the would be theif, instead of the alarm going off! I would love to come out to my Raptor and see a smoking bandit simmering in driveway.....just sayin!

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does this wire have to tap into, in the lighting circuit on the bar?
what i have figured from my tinkering, is this wire is a seperate ground. but grounded inside the lightbar.and run down inside the harness just like the other power and ground for the light. with aftermarket alarms, there is a wire that will trigger your alarm system, it can detect when the wire has changes state. when that particular wire is cut or disconnected it loses ground, therefore setting off the alarm. but the key is to have the wire INSIDE the harness.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
what i have figured from my tinkering, is this wire is a seperate ground. but grounded inside the lightbar.and run down inside the harness just like the other power and ground for the light. with aftermarket alarms, there is a wire that will trigger your alarm system, it can detect when the wire has changes state. when that particular wire is cut or disconnected it loses ground, therefore setting off the alarm. but the key is to have the wire INSIDE the harness.

Please keep me updated! I'll have a 50" above the windshield along with a 20" and all my other lights. I hate leaving them unattended.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
some lighting manufacturers already have security nuts and bolts you can use. i have a set on one of my light bars. i would just like to have the electrical portion covered. at least i would be notified right away if someone tried to cut the harness. (thanks to the smart start app)