Are there better options for pads and rotors then OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CVP33

Reaction score
Vulcanized rubber is a real thing. On a road course a little heat-cycling goes a long way. It’s like pre-bedded brake pads, you’re surrendering some material (rubber on tires, material on pads) to ‘flash forward’ to peak effectiveness. That’s a rich boys game at the track as you literally sacrifice 25-30% of track life.

On the street:

- Pads you really get to peak effectiveness after a good pad bedding.
- Tires most call it getting the varnish off new tires. Also remember that tires with less tread (your old tires) respond quicker. So new tires can sometimes feel less responsive at first. Not in the rain but definitely on dry pavement.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had some complaints about the KO2s its the braking traction honestly. The roads around me aren’t “prepped surface” good. They can easily be momentarily locked up or start chirping only putting the pedal half way down. I’ve had 4 vehicles with KOs and all of them got pretty unsettled under braking.

Last edited:

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, got on this thread as I am due to replace my OEM pads and rotors FIRST TIME at 105k miles. Not sure what I learned here, but pretty sure OEM equipment worked fine for me as I haven’t plowed into anything yet.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think I am just going with OEM as everything else looks like chinesium crap, but throwing this out for 1 last recommendation.

Rotated the tires this weekend and I am 1/16th of an inch from the wear makers touching the rotors. New pads an rotors needed within the month.
You really should try our brake kit that has been on the forum here for 10 years and trusted by thousands of raptor owners. I replaced mine at 28k because I was headed to Baja and to be honest, I had plenty of rotor thickness and pad life but wanted to change them anyways. I had no real issue with braking but wanted an improvement. I know that I am trying to sell a product but to be completely honest, it made a very noticeable difference. We have had lots of customers just take off the OEM brakes and put ours on for just the performance improvement. You can use Promo Code FRFBRAKE15 if you are still needing to get yourself a set.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can report the power stop Z36 truck/tow brake kit does perform great on the Raptor, the ceramic pads that come w/ them have good bite & low dust, the slotted/drilled rotors seem top notch w/ some kinda corrosion resistance treatment to them & silver painted/clear coated hats

Paid under $500 for all 4 corners pads/rotors on summit

I was tempted to add the red painted front calipers b/c only added like $150 to the total but there’s really no reason for it the stock calipers are fine & other than tail lights I don’t have any red accents on my truck but actually have a few small orange ones so red wouldn’t look great either imo

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can report the power stop Z36 truck/tow brake kit does perform great on the Raptor, the ceramic pads that come w/ them have good bite & low dust, the slotted/drilled rotors seem top notch w/ some kinda corrosion resistance treatment to them & silver painted/clear coated hats

Paid under $500 for all 4 corners pads/rotors on summit

I was tempted to add the red painted front calipers b/c only added like $150 to the total but there’s really no reason for it the stock calipers are fine & other than tail lights I don’t have any red accents on my truck but actually have a few small orange ones so red wouldn’t look great either imo
Same. Had them on for 4 days and 500 mixed miles. Did the break in process and the brakes just work. Don't feel any different than stock. Pedal feel is good. No noise. No vibrations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter