Anyone use a truck cover for outside parking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just detail it every weekend with the proper products inside and out. The Idaho sun is no joke man. Cobra, Focus and Porsche get the garage. Next house I will have a garage to park everything inside.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The plastics and rubber parts may look OK, but they do not look as nice a a truck that did not sit outside 24/7 for 3 years. The first few years, sure, not much degradation is noticable, as everything is still fresh. Paints and plastics are fuill of UV inhibitors etc. Each year that goes by though-those break down and the difference in condition widens faster and faster as well. It's not a linear thing.

If you buy new trucks on the regular- who cares right? Let the next guy worry about it.

If you plan to hold onto it though, leaving it outside is a sure way to be disappointed in it down the line. If it's black, the paint will be faded, any bare plastics will be oxidized and stained, and the plastic headlights will be sun damaged. All the rain, birdshit, pollen, and UV on the paint- baked in the heat. Water that freezes into (expanding) ice in every crevice during rain to snow events in the winter.

I've had them inside and had them outside- there is no comparison in condition after a decade, and the ones kept indoors take so much less effort to clean.
I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying, storing indoors is best if you have that option. But putting a cover on a vehicle this big and dealing with the abrasive damage isn’t something I’d do either.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastics and rubber parts may look OK, but they do not look as nice a a truck that did not sit outside 24/7 for 3 years. The first few years, sure, not much degradation is noticable, as everything is still fresh. Paints and plastics are fuill of UV inhibitors etc. Each year that goes by though-those break down and the difference in condition widens faster and faster as well. It's not a linear thing.

If you buy new trucks on the regular- who cares right? Let the next guy worry about it.

If you plan to hold onto it though, leaving it outside is a sure way to be disappointed in it down the line. If it's black, the paint will be faded, any bare plastics will be oxidized and stained, and the plastic headlights will be sun damaged. All the rain, birdshit, pollen, and UV on the paint- baked in the heat. Water that freezes into (expanding) ice in every crevice during rain to snow events in the winter.

I've had them inside and had them outside- there is no comparison in condition after a decade, and the ones kept indoors take so much less effort to clean.
my lightning sat outside for damn near 10 years (not 24/7, but highschool-college it was parked outside), plastics, rubbers, and paint look good still to this day (knock on wood) cause i waxed and detailed the plastics every month or so.
Definitely not as good as stock, and ive seen some horror shows of poor lightnings left outside with no care and its exactly what you said.
Sits inside now, but my poor rap sits outside, but at least that has ceramic on the paint and plastics.

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using a cover is just going to give you scratches in the paint unless your truck is freshly washed and the cover has no contaminants on the inside.

You're better off leaving it out in the open IMO.