Anyone Switch to Full Synthetic Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jh225

Reaction score
Anyone with a Gen 3 switch to full synthetic when doing an oil change?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always run “full synthetic” but just not the actual real stuff like amsoil or redline. Im changing at 4500-5k anyway and its mostly soft driving…

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats why I asked. I ran full synthetic in all my diesel Super Duty’s, but dont know if I trust semi synthetic in a twin turbo “high output” V6
To me, its kinda like buying an extended warranty. I never buy those either. But, if it helps you to sleep better......

BTW: I also have a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 diesel. Never have used any synthetic oil (in the engine). Just have always maintained and OCI of 5k. Still runs (and looks) great.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mobile 1 full synthetic is cheapest at Walmart and Costco. At Walmart I purchased 6 of the 5 quart jugs which is enough for 5 oil changes. The filters are $4.50 on rock auto so I got 10 of those (motorcraft). Doing it myself an oil change is about $28 each for full synthetic. If you notice also in the manual and on the truck ford is partnered with Mobile and recommends it. A semi synthetic change yourself is about $24. For the extra $4 I’ll run it. Completely different story here for cost factor if you are not doing it yourself. I ran semi and regular in my wrangler for years but on this truck with the turbo I wanted full synthetic especially since the oil was on sale and only a few bucks more than semi. I still will drop the oil and change every 4k and 3k on the wrangler. Coming up on my second oil change next weekend. I also rotate the tires every oil change (4k) and would recommend the same so they wear properly. Interval matters more than oil brand 100%

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Amsoil SS in factory weight with their matching filter since day one. Plenty of data out there that shows Amsoil's filter outperforms Fords. I will say Fords is not bad at all though.

Truck doesn't burn oil and runs great. Have 10k miles on the oil now. Did this to my 2019 and 2020 Raptor as well.

Pro tip: On yout first change, add this valve to your pan and will make future changes super easy!

Fumoto Valve