Anyone Switch to Full Synthetic Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of course I thought of that, but they only are filling the engine once. Don’t they make $ every time we do an oil change using Motorcraft oil? I would think they would make a little more $ with us buying full synthetic. So for a few dollars Ford would rather us not use the best oil in our truck?
There is an industry metric called cost of ownership. The lower the cost, the better the rating. For the average person, semi-synthetic Motorcraft oil is going to provide adequate protection for the life of the vehicle without any issues.

However, for those that run their vehicles hard, operate in extreme high or low temperatures, tow, haul, or off-road, full synthetic is going to provide the best protection.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
There is an industry metric called cost of ownership. The lower the cost, the better the rating. For the average person, semi-synthetic Motorcraft oil is going to provide adequate protection for the life of the vehicle without any issues.

However, for those that run their vehicles hard, operate in extreme high or low temperatures, tow, haul, or off-road, full synthetic is going to provide the best protection.
Was hoping you'd weigh in, always appreciate your insightful responses. Makes total sense to me,

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if Ford tested this with semi synthetic, builds, ships, and services with semi synthetic…. I would think the engine is meant to run and survive on it. I would not run anything different and risk voiding the needed warranty.

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run full synthetic and then submit a sample to blackstone-labs you can order their test kits for free, they’ll send you a full diagnosis of the composition of the oil and how much additive is left and also recommend if you can extend life. I was always a royal purple guy for gen1 and had very good results and extended use

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're worried about the cost difference and go 10k between changes because cost, realize that it will cost you about $50 for every 100k miles that you drive. Totally not worth it IMO.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that the Fumoto valve makes changes easier and plenty of folks use them, but….. It’s a mechanical valve that can fail and then, you are pretty much fked. Will it fail? Very likely never, but I personally will deal with taking out a bolt and putting a bolt back in. New engines are very expensive. ;)
Plastic clip comes with to make sure valve doesn’t “accidentally “ open. Not that it would anyway with a spring holding it in place and plenty of undercarriage protection from the factory.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using a Fumoto actually has NOTHING to do with saving you taking a bolt in and out. You'll see when you do your first oil change that the oil goes all over the frame cross member and spreads out to make a mess that will be dripping in your garage for a week and blowing around the engine and skids as you drive. Or you could spend 20 minutes with rags and paper towels reaching in up to your shoulder to clean up the oil, also great fun. Or you could put in a Fumoto valve which is a ball check valve with a safety lock on it and have the oil go straight into a container. There is nothing to fail in a ball check valve, other than if the whole valve fell out, which the drain bolt could do likewise if not installed properly.
Most kits on Amazon come with a hose to attach to the valve so you can drain directly into your oil drain bucket. And if you already have the valve I’m sure you can Google and find a hose in 5 minutes or less so you don’t make a mess.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if Ford tested this with semi synthetic, builds, ships, and services with semi synthetic…. I would think the engine is meant to run and survive on it. I would not run anything different and risk voiding the needed warranty.
Running a full synthetic that meets or exceeds Ford standards won’t void your warranty.