Anyone Switch to Full Synthetic Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evasive

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always easy to just send in an oil sample to Blackstone and see what life you have left...pretty simple to do. I do that for every oil change in my vehicles...also keeps a formal record. You can try a few brands and see the difference in quality as well from the actual oil analysis. Eliminates personal brand bias :)

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Only use redline oil. Oil is cheap,
Engines , transmissions, rears, not so much. ( my 14 gt500 had very notchy shifting and hard to get into gears below 50*,dumped factory fill replaced with redline mtl, problem GONE)Same base stock (esters I believe as used in jet engines, racer Doug ripple at Le Mans had engine overheat big time. Did some repairs and kept on. He was amazed bearing’s weren’t wiped. All big time racers use it no matter what decals on car. But to each their own.

Ran Redline in the trans of my 300ZX TwinTurbo as well for the same reason and it felt like a different transmission! That was a well known fix for that issue in the TT community.

KCHawkeye02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Amsoil SS in factory weight with their matching filter since day one. Plenty of data out there that shows Amsoil's filter outperforms Fords. I will say Fords is not bad at all though.

Truck doesn't burn oil and runs great. Have 10k miles on the oil now. Did this to my 2019 and 2020 Raptor as well.

Pro tip: On yout first change, add this valve to your pan and will make future changes super easy!

Fumoto Valve
How often do you change your oil?

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive used Mobil 1 or penz platinum since 5K miles every 5K miles with a motorcraft filter. I take it to the ford dealer and they charge me 30 bucks in labor, just gotta leave my oil and filter in the passenger footwell. Then i get the lecture about needing a throttle body cleaning and new diff fluid at 20k miles for 500 bucks. I used to use Redline and had great results with their ester based oil in VQ engines with iffy initial valve train oiling at startup.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of full synthetic oil changes.....got my second one done at 7500. I was down about 1/2 quart on this change after 4000 miles. So again running quality oil matters, but the frequency matters more. For those that think they can go 10k per oil change, I personally wouldn't risk it. It's an easy job and takes about an hour with the rights tools going nice and slow. At intervals higher up depending on driving habits you may be running low oil levels. Total cost was about $32 plus cost of beer. oil-change.jpg

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of full synthetic oil changes.....got my second one done at 7500. I was down about 1/2 quart on this change after 4000 miles. So again running quality oil matters, but the frequency matters more. For those that think they can go 10k per oil change, I personally wouldn't risk it. It's an easy job and takes about an hour with the rights tools going nice and slow. At intervals higher up depending on driving habits you may be running low oil levels. Total cost was about $32 plus cost of beer. View attachment 376648
Wish you were a hellava lot closer to TX. I’d bring the beer…plenty of it!

BigTaco

Reaction score
I don’t own a gen 3 yet. I have a Gen 2. I have always run Mobil 1. Parents owned a repair shop when I was younger and I drank the cool aid on mobil 1. Then in 1993 I bought a 4.0L Ford Ranger. Junked it in 2013 after flipping the odo 3x. Engine still ran great. Never one engine issue. Not one. The rest of the truck was falling apart around the motor but that thing ran solid.

FF and I’ve been a devout Mobil 1 user. I have a friend with a performance shop and my cousin who’s an engineer turned exotic/rare car builder/restorer. Both said Amsoil is a better oil than Mobil 1. My cousin did some research and said that Joe Gibbs racing makes an oil blend specifically for direct injection motors like the eco-boost. So now my #1 is the Joe Gibbs Driven and if I can’t find that for some reason Amsoil is backup.

Not a lot of people know about Driven Racing oil (has not belonged to Gibbs for many years). It’s a totally different approach and I’ve been lucky enough to meet and talk with Lake Speed Jr. a bunch over the last decade. mPAO is really the best performing base oil that does not use tons of viscosity improvers to maintain a high viscosity index. Great stuff. I’ve been using their products in my Fords for 10 years now.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once a year I’ll do a 10,000 to 12,000 mile road trip around America. I’ve always tan Amsoil Synthetic in factory weight with their Maximum Efficiency oil filter (EAO17). Never an issue after almost 100K miles on my Gen 2 and so far no issues on my Gen 3 doing the same thing.

KCHawkeye02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once a year I’ll do a 10,000 to 12,000 mile road trip around America. I’ve always tan Amsoil Synthetic in factory weight with their Maximum Efficiency oil filter (EAO17). Never an issue after almost 100K miles on my Gen 2 and so far no issues on my Gen 3 doing the same thing.
Thats awesome. What is your favorite place?