Anyone notice the 2 MPG increase on 2012's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Less air pressure.

Less air so less fuel. I get 50 plus mpg on my bikes while out there. I get 35 here. BUTT! The bikes and truck run much better out here in the flat lands. Less air less gas per squish on compression. Thats why the low grade fuel there is 85 octain. So mI always run the bikes all the way down on gas before returning here and I don't fill the truck up till I get to Ammarillo on the way back. HAHahaaaaaaaaaa.

BDRAG

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why the **** do I get better milage in town than at 70 on the highway? Not un common if I baby it to get 15 in town but I NEVER get anything over 13.5 at 70 mph here in the 500 ft above sea level area. Now when I was in Colorado my milage was great, up to 17 /18 on the highway.........

BDRAG

Anything over 65 mph seems to reduce peak mpg. If I stay at or below 65 mph I can average over 15mpg with mixed driving......but I cant do that so I average around 13.5. :)

tikicult

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can usually get better MPG without cruise control. Cruise control cannot adjust to things such as hills.

Good practices to increase MPG:
1. Coast to red lights, traffic lights, or slowed traffic.
2. Accelerate downhill (but not too hard).
3. Decelerate (a little bit) or maintain current speed when going uphill.
4. Try to maintain speed on the highway.
5. Avoid changing lanes too much (this causes you to speed up or slow down without you realizing it sometimes).
6. You can practice drafting on the highway but make sure you do it safely. (No, drafting is not the same thing as tailing...)
7. Windows up on the highway!
8. No A/C.
9. Accelerate smoothly to your cruising speed.

There are other things such as weight reduction and what not but I just want everyone to understand how to change their driving habits in order to achieve more miles per gallon.

Driving conservatively like this is how I get 20-21 mpg in my 2006 Explorer. My dealer was floored when I told him the mileage that I get out of that thing. I know that I'll get much less than that in my Raptor, but hoping to eek out 17 mpg during my daily driving. Now weekend driving is a completely different matter... :Big Laugh:

raptor_ty

Reaction score
I have only 800 miles on my 2011 and the best I get is 13.2 HWY @ 75MPH and 10.2 in town. I really try and watch the punch around town, but there are times you just need to goose it! When I 1st got it, 8.5 city and 10.6 HWY. Does seem to be improving but not yet up to sticker average. Running 91 octane on 4 fill-ups. Going to regular grade next fill.

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys getting 10 to 11 mpg around town, are doing drag race launches from every stop?
I drive my truck pretty aggressively around town and I get 13.5 to 14.5 all the time.
Took 2 trips this summer and got 16.5 round trip.
I also run only 93 octane.
Truck is all stock 2011 crew raptor.
12k for mileage.

mrpork

Full Access Member
Reaction score
makes me feel a little better. cant wait to get mine now
You guys getting 10 to 11 mpg around town, are doing drag race launches from every stop?
I drive my truck pretty aggressively around town and I get 13.5 to 14.5 all the time.
Took 2 trips this summer and got 16.5 round trip.
I also run only 93 octane.
Truck is all stock 2011 crew raptor.
12k for mileage.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't reset my Economy Indicator in the last three weeks.
Currently it reads 14.4mpg. Some highway, some city
I am currently using (and have been for the last two weeks) 93 octane fuel.

Side note that may be of zero significance: I was reading 14.3mpg Friday morning just before having my Borla Touring Catback installed. On Saturday the mpg eeked to 14.4.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
when i forst got the truck, and doing my tooling around to the store and whatnot (all less then 2 miles round trip), i was getting an average of 7.4..... and i dont launch it off lights (unless i have too). but my first trip on highways going from my house, to sisters, to my dads, then back home, my average is now sitting at 12.6, no reset. no cruise control, and keeping it at about 70ish, i had seen in the "last 10 minutes" gauge, that it would get up as high as about 17 several times when cruising. and i only got about 400some miles on it, and i know after a few thousand it will get better. so im thinking that im getting better milage highway right now then i did on my 99 F-250 with the 5.4.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think that I agree with the 2011 vs. 2010 ratings since it's been out and not just a re-worked EPA estimate from the 5.4L days. Oh, shit...what?!

6.2 > 5.4...

Not this again. :D