Anyone installed SC on a 2012 yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm itching to do it and was sure I was going to have a custom made magna charger set up, then the Whipple looked better, and now the new Eaton unit seems the way to go.

If anyone has bit the bullet on the SC for a '12 yet I would love to hear about it. To have my truck ready for the event/trip I have planned in March I would need to order ASAP to give enough lead time before instalation and tuning.

Thanks

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont do it. Its a waste, changes the throttle mapping, reams out the engine and trans, you will have to spot weld all of the tube connections especially if you want it to work offroad, you will need a torque converter so not to blow your tranny, live close to a tune shop, it wont be effective offroad....and not many Raptors are at the drag strip!

Keep it NA power and save the money & the warranty. You could do NA: a FULL exhuast system front to rear, 180 thermo, throttle body spacer, CAI, maybe a chip and a few other minor things to squeeze out a solid 40hp.

PS-I use to have a Novi Paxton 1500 series self lubing polished head unit (aka supercharger) on my old SRT Jeep along with all the bells ie intercooler, oil cooler, torque converter, 180 thermo, upgraded pulley etc. I could smoke ANYTHING 0-60...yes, even a Porsche Turbo S! Haha.

It was fun sometimes (and dangerous) for about 9 months AND ONLY WHEN COLD OUTSIDE....then the engine drive belt finally snapped, other BS was starting, + I moved to the HOT ASS desert--so I took it off, put the car back to stock, and happily never looked back.

Not to mention a total waste of liquid cash. Just some free advice.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
while I agree that N/A power is best for what the Raptor was designed to do (though 80% of us don't live near a desert) - there is nothing unique about your engine configuration, a 2010 raptor 6.2 supercharger will fit your 2012.

OP
OP
rhino

rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I do understand the 6.2 engines are the same from year to year. My point should have been more clear, I was mainly referring to the fact that the only thing available until very recently was the pro charger set up rather than a roots style blower. I have other super charged vehicles and I'm aware of the negatives to go along with the added HP. Unfortunately I have smoked more than more than my share of transmissions/running gear over the years from power adders of different forms. I already have plans in the works to have the frame reinforced when the suspension is modified. I'm not looking to drag race the truck and may not SC it at all. All my vehicles are actually used off road and the Raptor will be no different.

I just like my toys and have a disease that won't seem to let me leave anything stock. We do have access to a Dyno and custom tuning less than a mile from my office so if I do it I will make sure the programming is right. I already have the CAI, exhaust, programmer, and a few other goodies sitting here ready to go on. Once my bumpers, winch, and suspension mods are delivered I will hopefully put in on the lift and get it all done in one shot. Then all I need is more time to finish the installs. The truck has plenty of power as it, so I need the SC like a whole in my head. Just typing this out I'm talking myself out of a SC.

Your points are well taken and at least for the moment I think I have talked myself out of it.

Regards,

Tom

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I do understand the 6.2 engines are the same from year to year. My point should have been more clear, I was mainly referring to the fact that the only thing available until very recently was the pro charger set up rather than a roots style blower. I have other super charged vehicles and I'm aware of the negatives to go along with the added HP. Unfortunately I have smoked more than more than my share of transmissions/running gear over the years from power adders of different forms. I already have plans in the works to have the frame reinforced when the suspension is modified. I'm not looking to drag race the truck and may not SC it at all. All my vehicles are actually used off road and the Raptor will be no different.

I just like my toys and have a disease that won't seem to let me leave anything stock. We do have access to a Dyno and custom tuning less than a mile from my office so if I do it I will make sure the programming is right. I already have the CAI, exhaust, programmer, and a few other goodies sitting here ready to go on. Once my bumpers, winch, and suspension mods are delivered I will hopefully put in on the lift and get it all done in one shot. Then all I need is more time to finish the installs. The truck has plenty of power as it, so I need the SC like a whole in my head. Just typing this out I'm talking myself out of a SC.

Your points are well taken and at least for the moment I think I have talked myself out of it.

Regards,

Tom

Glad I/we could help Tom. BTW-my grandfather, father, and brother were/are all named Tom.

I hear ya on toys, thats why I turned my old SRT into the "Star Wars mobile" almost 5 years ago! ;)

But thats one reason Im buying the Raptor is I dont have to do much to it, its made for beating if needed (my last two cars would cry in the rain alone) nor do I really want to mod the performance.

Lights, speakers, exhaust...no prob. But once you start shredding the suspension, swapping wheels/tires, sc kits etc etc. its just another modded out truck with the Raptor badge. Plus, how in the hell ae you guys affording a Raptor + all he mods so fast!? Damn. haha.

There is nothing wrong with more power, but in todays world and in a Raptor...you got all you need. Just ask yourself like I did with my last two cars that both went 200mph.....how often and WHERE are you going to drive over 100mph? Not many places unless ur on a race track! And I live in the desert. 0-100 a Raptor is the best vehicle to own I think.

PS-if you do decide to do it....at least make sure you spot weld the tubing & get a 2800 stall torque converter to save the 6sp Tranny.

Scottysspeedshop

A.D.D. VelociRaptor 600 Owner
Reaction score
Well I don't agree at all . I don't own a vehicle with less than 500 hp including the wife's cayenne twin turbo . I guess I'm a hp junkie . As for the raptor stock is fine but modded is better it sets it apart from everyone else's .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kellyejh

Reaction score
Quicksand just needs to do his reasearch, the raptor drive train is rated at 800 hp, and you would never just throw a supercharger on your badass truck you'd buy a kit that includes a turner. From what i've been reading whipple charger and roush performance are leading the way. Im waiting to here from more people that have ordered them to see how they actually perform. Lastly some of these kits if installed by a dealer or authorized rep. there will be warranty.

OP
OP
rhino

rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day it comes down to if you want to play you need to be prepared to pay. I am not sweating repairs if I have to eat them, my only concern is reliability when using the truck far from home. I don't want to be stranded somewhere, I understand that if I don't go to crazy the 6R80 is up to the task. If need be I can have a unit built to handle the power as I have in all my other vehicles. At this point I have not decided one way or the other yet.