Anyone have a noise in their back seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo I have this noise in the drivers side back seat area that is driving me nuts!!

Truck has done it since day one when empty so it's not an obvious answer. Only had it 4 weeks, new 2020.

It's like a tinging/chirp/creak. Like a faint metal on metal but not heavy and not too loud. Just enough with the music off to hear and be annoying.

Happens when the body of the truck has a rolling movement, like going over a rolling bump especially at higher speeds. Hitting a road nipple won't create it. Heavy acceleration can make it occur but not all the time. Also heavy braking but more on accel. Sharp turns can kinda make it happen too.

Imagine the zipper from the rear seat hanging and touching the seat frame when the truck is going over longer bumps, that's the noise. I thought that was it when I noticed mine was hanging down but no dice.

There is not anything rolling around and it's one noise only. Like 2 pieces of light weight metal touching each other. It's fast and does not linger but can happen back to back. Also I have pulled the seat back down and looked around. Nothing obviously loose.

it's either coming from the rear driver side door panel or drivers side rear seat area.

Someone tell me you are the needle in the haystack and had this in yours!

ps: working on finding someone to drive it so i can get back there and listen around while they drive

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Seat belt latch banging on the door? Not sure if it's the sound you describe, but mine do it if not turned the right way.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is the pivot points on the rear seats. Also check behind the seats. Is it up high or low? Could it be the sunroof if you have one?

fueler

Reaction score
Did you take out everything in the truck? Even stuff in the center console, but especially the jack and tools in the RR corner. The jack handle has folded flaps and maybe 2 of the 3 are tapping together due to the flaps not being folded correctly. I know you said LR but sounds and rattles are tough.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My guesses:

seat belt latches. Try to place something above them so they don’t “fall into the seat”. Next guess - seat latch. hit it with some white lithium grease and retest.

OP
OP
T

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Sooo I might have found it. Had to go to dinner so won’t know till tomorrow.

Might be the factory B&O amp and it’s connection the amp mount. I think I could recreate it some while pushing on it.

Going to play with it tom morning and then go for a drive.

FWIW I took the jack and all that out and no change. Also does it with rear seats folded up or down and I really don’t think it’s moon roof. Def sounds like behind driver.

Wish me luck lol

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't nailed mine down but might have the same thing. Lift the rear seat and place a rag or some kind of cloth a bit in the way of the pneumatic strut/piston and then lower the seat. See if this resolves the issue. It does for me and I haven't diagnosed it further for an actual fix because I keep a sweatshirt under the seat anyway so my "cloth under the piston" fix can be full-time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc