Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bite. Old people, put your readers on, envirohaters, put your delta smlet stomping waders on, shts about to get deep.

My situation is close to ideal for an EV truck. So I got one.

I bought a Gen 3 raptor in November of 21. It was the truck I wanted for years and when the Gen 3 was announced, I ordered one. I drove it for a year and took it to the desert all of 3 times. The wife gets car sick, and much worse on high speed desert trails, so that was it for high speed off roading in the raptor with the family. That made it much less fun. 3rd kid came and that scrapped any idea of camping trips that I could sneak in some light off roading in on for the next few years.

The 21 raptor was incredible as a daily. We have some nasty pothole covered roads out here in the California central valley countryside. It handled them well. Highway cruising was great.

But.... It was in the shop at least 10 times for all kinds of BS reasons. It was a covid build and it had all the gremlins. Shock clunk, exhaust rattle, software issues, heat shield, and other issues covered under warranty. In the shop multiple times for all of those things before they were partially resolved. The truck was still great with all that, but not what I expected in the QC department for an $80k truck that I paid $90k for.

So I found a lightning on the lot that I previously had zero interest in. Test drove it with the idea of trading my wife's 22 Lincoln Aviator in on, but her $80k Lincoln was worth about $50-55k trade in and even if I could have gotten a bit more by selling myself, probably best to keep it a bit longer. (Yes. "Rich" with a second, gas, vehicle.) So, then the thought shifted to the possibility of trading in the Raptor. I had already convinced the wife on getting the big battery lariat, since everything worth getting a platinum for, basically just the seats, had revcently died of covid.

In convincing the wife, I planted all the seeds in my own mind. We have an abundance of solar on the family ranch where we live with 240 RV hookups already on site. I do not have a garage, those all have tractors in them. But I can plug in for "free" (think, pre-paid, because it wasn't cheap) on existing infrastructure a few hundred feet from my house.

We don't go on many road trips that would be a hassle to charge. We took the Raptor to Utah last year, and a few trips to Vegas area, and AZ. That's not the norm and we won't be doing many of those trips with a toddler and a new born for a while.

So calculating CA gas prices for 91, it averaged well over $6 /gal for the year+ that I had the Raptor, I put 26k miles on it, nearly all pavement miles. 14mpg. That's $11k in fuel in a year. Not a big deal, but we also put 24k miles on the wife's Aviator. 18mpg. That's another $8k in fuel. Let's round up to $20k in fuel for funsies.

Fast forward to now. I have had the lightning since November. I kept the Raptor for 3 months while I had it listed for sale. I've put 13k miles on the lightning in 5 months. It's been plugged in at home almost exclusively. My wife has charged it on the road 4 or 5 times, and we've charged it on the way to Disneyland and back, 1000 mile roundtrip and we plugged in once on the way there and once coming back, the hotel charged it the final night we stayed. The drive was as easy as stopping for gas and letting the family use the facilities and grab a bite to eat. About 45 minutes off the highway. My wife does that by stopping at the Starbucks drive through and then us getting gas for a normal stop. You don't have to charge it to full, just enough to get to the destination, that's usually home. We live in the middle of the central valley, and while it may suck multiple asses in plenty of ways, we can go snowboarding in the sierras or to the coast and back on a charge. Even in what we call winter. The lightning has not been back to the dealership yet for a single thing. I'll concede that as luck as much as anything else, though.

I know my situation is far from normal. If it was normal I would still be driving the Raptor and happily paying a almost grand a month for fuel. Or less now.... Prices jumped when I bought the Raptor and dropped as soon as I bought the lightning. (You're welcome.) I have spent probably $200 out of pocket to charge this truck for 13k miles of driving. We have put right about 1,000 miles on the Aviator in the past 5 months, from 2k miles a month, to 200. I work from home and the wife does mostly as well, she's on maternity leave now, so whoever gets to it first takes the free to drive truck everytime. I only let her drive my Raptor once in a while.

It's been pleasant to have an EV full size truck for me. I've towed with it for farm use and my boat. I don't tow anything very far. Hay for the horses, a tractor across town, or the boat to the lake or river. It tows so much better than the Raptor did that I would gladly charge it 2 or 3 times for a few hundred miles than tow the same load with the Raptor for a few hundred miles if I had to. In my opinion Raptor owners don't get to sht on EVs for towing issues. Yes, a Raptor can tow. So can a lightning. Both with large drawbacks. Get an F250 if you want to tow something.

Overall conclusion. The Raptor is by far better looking. The Raptor drives better. The Raptor off roads better. But again.
My situation is close to ideal for an EV truck. So I got one. I enjoy it. Not as much as I enjoyed the Raptor. But close enough that even if it does lose something ridiculous like $40-50k in value more than the Raptor would over the first 100k miles it's a wash because that's nearly what I'm going to save in fuel.

I'm a Marine Vet, I love guns, I hate FJB and nearly every CA politician regardless of party. Don't worry, I am no threat to move to your state. The worst part about owning an EV is people thinking I give a sht about the environment. I firmly believe that the earth will rid itself of us before it allows us to destroy it, and that's probably fine. I don't care what people think of me for owning an EV, I will not allow liberals to determine what type of vehicle I drive because they try to claim EVs as theirs. I did it because it fit my current needs well. I'll do whatever I want.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I'll bite. Old people, put your readers on, envirohaters, put your delta smlet stomping waders on, shts about to get deep.

I bought a Gen 3 raptor in November of 21. It was the truck I wanted for years and when the Gen 3 was announced, I ordered one. I drove it for a year and took it to the desert all of 3 times. The wife gets car sick, and much worse on high speed desert trails, so that was it for high speed off roading in the raptor with the family. That made it much less fun. 3rd kid came and that scrapped any idea of camping trips that I could sneak in some light off roading in on for the next few years.

The 21 raptor was incredible as a daily. We have some nasty pothole covered roads out here in the California central valley countryside. It handled them well. Highway cruising was great.

But.... It was in the shop at least 10 times for all kinds of BS reasons. It was a covid build and it had all the gremlins. Shock clunk, exhaust rattle, software issues, heat shield, and other issues covered under warranty. In the shop multiple times for all of those things before they were partially resolved. The truck was still great with all that, but not what I expected in the QC department for an $80k truck that I paid $90k for.

So I found a lightning on the lot that I previously had zero interest in. Test drove it with the idea of trading my wife's 22 Lincoln Aviator in on, but her $80k Lincoln was worth about $50-55k trade in and even if I could have gotten a bit more by selling myself, probably best to keep it a bit longer. (Yes. "Rich" with a second, gas, vehicle.) So, then the thought shifted to the possibility of trading in the Raptor. I had already convinced the wife on getting the big battery lariat, since everything worth getting a platinum for, basically just the seats, had revcently died of covid.

In convincing the wife, I planted all the seeds in my own mind. We have an abundance of solar on the family ranch where we live with 240 RV hookups already on site. I do not have a garage, those all have tractors in them. But I can plug in for "free" (think, pre-paid, because it wasn't cheap) on existing infrastructure a few hundred feet from my house.

We don't go on many road trips that would be a hassle to charge. We took the Raptor to Utah last year, and a few trips to Vegas area, and AZ. That's not the norm and we won't be doing many of those trips with a toddler and a new born for a while.

So calculating CA gas prices for 91, it averaged well over $6 /gal for the year+ that I had the Raptor, I put 26k miles on it, nearly all pavement miles. 14mpg. That's $11k in fuel in a year. Not a big deal, but we also put 24k miles on the wife's Aviator. 18mpg. That's another $8k in fuel. Let's round up to $20k in fuel for funsies.

Fast forward to now. I have had the lightning since November. I kept the Raptor for 3 months while I had it listed for sale. I've put 13k miles on the lightning in 5 months. It's been plugged in at home almost exclusively. My wife has charged it on the road 4 or 5 times, and we've charged it on the way to Disneyland and back, 1000 mile roundtrip and we plugged in once on the way there and once coming back, the hotel charged it the final night we stayed. The drive was as easy as stopping for gas and letting the family use the facilities and grab a bite to eat. About 45 minutes off the highway. My wife does that by stopping at the Starbucks drive through and then us getting gas for a normal stop. You don't have to charge it to full, just enough to get to the destination, that's usually home. We live in the middle of the central valley, and while it may suck multiple asses in plenty of ways, we can go snowboarding in the sierras or to the coast and back on a charge. Even in what we call winter. The lightning has not been back to the dealership yet for a single thing. I'll concede that as luck as much as anything else, though.

I know my situation is far from normal. If it was normal I would still be driving the Raptor and happily paying a almost grand a month for fuel. Or less now.... Prices jumped when I bought the Raptor and dropped as soon as I bought the lightning. (You're welcome.) I have spent probably $200 out of pocket to charge this truck for 13k miles of driving. We have put right about 1,000 miles on the Aviator in the past 5 months, from 2k miles a month, to 200. I work from home and the wife does mostly as well, she's on maternity leave now, so whoever gets to it first takes the free to drive truck everytime. I only let her drive my Raptor once in a while.

It's been pleasant to have an EV full size truck for me. I've towed with it for farm use and my boat. I don't tow anything very far. Hay for the horses, a tractor across town, or the boat to the lake or river. It tows so much better than the Raptor did that I would gladly charge it 2 or 3 times for a few hundred miles than tow the same load with the Raptor for a few hundred miles if I had to. In my opinion Raptor owners don't get to sht on EVs for towing issues. Yes, a Raptor can tow. So can a lightning. Both with large drawbacks. Get an F250 if you want to tow something.

Overall conclusion. The Raptor is by far better looking. The Raptor drives better. The Raptor off roads better. But again.
My situation is close to ideal for an EV truck. So I got one. I enjoy it. Not as much as I enjoyed the Raptor. But close enough that even if it does lose something ridiculous like $40-50k in value more than the Raptor would over the first 100k miles it's a wash because that's nearly what I'm going to save in fuel.

I'm a Marine Vet, I love guns, I hate FJB and nearly every CA politician regardless of party. Don't worry, I am no threat to move to your state. The worst part about owning an EV is people thinking I give a sht about the environment. I firmly believe that the earth will rid itself of us before it allows us to destroy it, and that's probably fine. I don't care what people think of me for owning an EV, I will not allow liberals to determine what type of vehicle I drive because they try to claim EVs as theirs. I did it because it fit my current needs well. I'll do whatever I want.
I might like EV’s better if “They”weren’t trying to shove it up my Beaver Tail and hide the fact it’s just another way to line their pockets…
#Go Hybrid
#Be All You Can Be
#I hate that the Jarheads have the Best Looking Class A’s

C8A5F2DE-311D-4BCB-B6F9-E4EECDA7CDD1.jpegD256CF43-4902-44D4-862E-066A1F6E9526.jpegD45BF6A7-E2BC-4F69-8F9B-5DA2B796CFB7.jpeg

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might like EV’s better if “They”weren’t trying to shove it up my Beaver Tail and hide the fact it’s just another way to line their pockets…
#Go Hybrid
#Be All You Can Be
#I hate that the Jarheads have the Best Looking Class A’s

View attachment 401642View attachment 401643View attachment 401644
That's how my father in law is. He has all of the same benefits that I do to owning a lightning and then some. He never goes further than 100 miles from home without flying there, ever. He absolutely will not consider it because it's forced down his throat so much by "the other side".. He could use a fleet of 6 of them and save a ton of money every year. He won't.

We also have the best digital camouflage as well, if you're in to that sort of thing. Nothing wrong with it if you are.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score

tl;dr

i dont think anyone needs to justify their purchases around here.. if you want an EV, go get one. I do not, and i dont think i should be forced into getting one, because its the only option.

paying more taxes isn't going to fix the environment, i'd venture to say the environmental impact from most of the EV options today are worse than the typical ICE cars available today, in the long term ( manufacture to recycled )

they have their place, but i feel everyone is being forced into not the best option, because politicians need return on their investment portfolios..

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

#1. You live in California
#2. You have solar on the farm…….go figure
#3. You bought an EV
To sum it up:
You have lived in California for soooo long, you truly do not KNOW that you are, or have become a Californian. Think of it like the ****’s in WW 2. Many participated in the holocaust. At the time they did not realize they were brainwashed and it was wrong. Charlie Manson brainwashed “his followers” and they carried out horrific crimes. Now Manson‘s followers know they were brainwashed, just like surviving ****’s realize it. Which brings up a question begging for an answer; why are you on a Raptor forum and not a lightning forum? Your time may be better spent saving the whales!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
#1. You live in California
#2. You have solar on the farm…….go figure
#3. You bought an EV
To sum it up:
You have lived in California for soooo long, you truly do not KNOW that you are, or have become a Californian. Think of it like the ****’s in WW 2. Many participated in the holocaust. At the time they did not realize they were brainwashed and it was wrong. Charlie Manson brainwashed “his followers” and they carried out horrific crimes. Now Manson‘s followers know they were brainwashed, just like surviving ****’s realize it. Which brings up a question begging for an answer; why are you on a Raptor forum and not a lightning forum? Your time may be better spent saving the whales!
In fairness, did you read his post? I personally do not want an EV for myself as it doesn’t not fit my use case nor desire, politics aside I still don’t care for them.

All of that aside, I thought he gave a very reasonable counter argument/explanation