Anyone else notice a rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still getting that rattle in the gas pedal and floorboard over small bumps? Because I am and its driving me crazy.
interesting, I had the same in my 2019 raptor...it was very minor and only audible with radio off but drove me nuts sometimes. sounded like inside the cab but down near the pedals

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I read this post the other day and thought it was just maybe being new to trucks and the way they ride. Then I picked up my raptor 2 days ago and I can tell you that mine has the same thing and it is not normal a truck feel. Driving down our gravel driveway my gas pedal feels like something is loose under my foot and it's rattling rapidly. My father in laws 2020 king ranch doesn't do it, mother in laws 2020 expedition doesn't do it, our 2019 F250 doesn't, the 2015 Silverado work truck doesn't. I drove it home from the dealership with 50psi in the tires and felt it as soon as I hit the gravel on the driveway. I lowered the PSI to 34 all around and it is still the same. 5MPH or 20MPH it's constant on the gravel. It doesn't feel like something major, just a slight annoyance. But I will take it in to document the issue in case something pops up later, and I'll check in on the thread to see if anyone comes up with a cause. Other than that, truck is great.

OP
OP
B

bobbyboost

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! There are a bunch of us experiencing this issue. Any chance you can link to the thread where you found this?

Barclay

Reaction score
Like others have said, the rattle is definitely not normal (or…I suppose it is, given how many people are experiencing it, haha – I guess I should say not expected), and hopefully, enough people will complain for Ford to issue a recall to remedy that. The creaks and groans are often caused by dirt getting stuck in the suspension components, and it can be difficult to get it clean enough to completely silence (sometimes requiring using a jack to bend the leaf springs to different angles while hitting it with a pressure washer), and it'll likely be back the first time you drive on an even mildly dusty road…I've found the best remedy to be the radio, haha.

Minor undesirable noises are actually one of the main reasons I've gone against my own expectations and decided to leave the fake "engine enhancement" sounds on…they're almost exclusively lower-frequency sounds, squarely in subwoofer-territory, which makes them fairly non-directionally-discernable (i.e. it's not completely obvious that the sound is coming from the opposite side of your body as the actual engine), and all of that droning bass helps bury many of the unwanted noises coming from the truck, haha. (It also helps you hear the current RPMs, which can be helpful when using the paddle shifters off-road, since the natural sound of the engine can easily be drowned out almost entirely by a mix of rough terrain, a loud stereo, and the truck's sound insulation.

Barclay

Reaction score
Regarding dealers seeming to always deliver the truck with ≈50 psi in the tires, I'm pretty sure I recall reading that the Raptors are shipped with their tires inflated to this level to help stabilize them in transport, since at the normal inflation, the combination of the tall sidewalls and soft suspension allows the weight of the truck to pendulum its mass around a little too much when on a train car or trailer. With a whole load of the Raptors packed together, you've got a bunch of 3T weights sloshing about independently, which can supposedly add up to problematic levels. Now, why the dealers don't deflate the tires back to the recommended inflation upon delivery, I couldn't tell you. Considering how much less stable the truck feels at 50 psi (I remember driving home from the dealer and finding that the back roads near our house, which are straight and level, but have a wavy surface from settling, the truck started to feel a bit unstable above around 65-70mph. At 35-38 psi, it feels solidly planted up to about 85 mph, and if you go down to ≈28-32 psi on those same roads, the tire pressure is no longer the limiting factor for stability. I would definitely have been even more impressed on my test drive had the tires been properly inflated, but perhaps the Raptors sell themselves well enough at 50 psi to bother…still, it would take less than 5 minutes for dealers to drop the tire pressures on delivery. Perhaps most dealerships aren't aware that they arrive with over-inflated tires, but if Ford is sending them out with tire pressures well above their recommended specifications, you'd think that they'd include reducing the pressure to recommended levels in the delivery notes.

Additionally, almost every shop seems to go with the maximum tire pressure from the sidewalls over Ford's specification, as well. Maybe they ignore the specifications from the door jam because they assume the larger all-terrain tires are aftermarket and assume the factory spec might not be applicable? :shrug: Be sure to double-check that you're not running 40-50 psi before bombing down gravel roads in excess of highway speeds, especially if someone else has worked on the truck recently – unless you happen to really enjoy patching tires. In my experience, puncture rates rise exponentially as the tire pressure increases. In my experience (which includes getting my first irreparable tear at 4k miles, and having completely ruined all 6 (the original 5, plus the 4k mile replacement tire) tires by 11k, via a mixture of not picking low enough pressures early on, driving the majority of those miles off-pavement, and never passing up an opportunity to go around a turn sideways, all carrying a lot of weight nearly all the time – I replaced the tires with Load Range E KM3s (moving to the higher load range because we're virtually always carrying a bunch of extra weight – and the move to mud terrains made a lot of sense for us since we live in an area with clay soil and lots of mud, and all-terrains are effectively racing slicks after about 5 seconds in clay mud), and have stuck with using lower pressures whenever going anywhere other than only paved roads, and after another 11k miles, I still have juuust shy of 1/2" of tread depth left all around (the KM3s started with ≈0.55-0.6" of thread, whereas the stock KO2s started around 0.515", if I recall, so they had a little more tread to start with (if that seemed absurd to have only used up nearly zero tread life, that's why). That is despite maintaining the high cargo loads and the regular (off-pavement) wheel spin – don't expect much tire longevity if you're doing burnouts on asphalt all day, haha). I haven't needed to patch a single one of the KM3s yet, either (when I retired them, two of the KO2s had a literal dozen patches in them, and the others weren't too far behind :Big Laugh:).

Basically, I've found that when in doubt, go with the lower end of the pressures you're considering. Lower pressures don't only help prevent punctures, but significantly reduce tire wear when driving off-pavement, particularly with regard to 'chunking' (i.e. large pieces of the tire tread breaking off all at once). Maybe don't rock 12 psi tires on the interstate, haha, but I've experimented fairly extensively, and have never seen the tires come anywhere becoming getting too hot, nor experienced any significant loss of stability, when running pressures down to the low-to-mid 20s (and on highways in poorer condition, the truck was more stable when running lower pressures), even on mountainous and curvy freeways, or on Texas' freeways with posted 80 & 85mph limits (i.e. a typical actual traffic speed around 85-95mph). Sure, you will not get quite as good of fuel economy (a Raptor is not the best choice if fuel economy is a high priority, regardless, haha), and your normal tire wear rate will likely be slightly faster, but if you're driving a route that transitions back and forth between unpaved and paved roads, and you don't want to stop and inflate or deflate your tires every few minutes, I've found it best to go with the pressure would be ideal for whatever the toughest terrain you'll be facing on that drive happens to be (unless that terrain is deep mud/sand/etc. where you might want pressures in the teens or below, then maybe get it back up to at least 20 before any longer stretches on the road :)).

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regarding dealers seeming to always deliver the truck with ≈50 psi in the tires, I'm pretty sure I recall reading that the Raptors are shipped with their tires inflated to this level to help stabilize them in transport, since at the normal inflation, the combination of the tall sidewalls and soft suspension allows the weight of the truck to pendulum its mass around a little too much when on a train car or trailer. With a whole load of the Raptors packed together, you've got a bunch of 3T weights sloshing about independently, which can supposedly add up to problematic levels. Now, why the dealers don't deflate the tires back to the recommended inflation upon delivery, I couldn't tell you. Considering how much less stable the truck feels at 50 psi (I remember driving home from the dealer and finding that the back roads near our house, which are straight and level, but have a wavy surface from settling, the truck started to feel a bit unstable above around 65-70mph. At 35-38 psi, it feels solidly planted up to about 85 mph, and if you go down to ≈28-32 psi on those same roads, the tire pressure is no longer the limiting factor for stability. I would definitely have been even more impressed on my test drive had the tires been properly inflated, but perhaps the Raptors sell themselves well enough at 50 psi to bother…still, it would take less than 5 minutes for dealers to drop the tire pressures on delivery. Perhaps most dealerships aren't aware that they arrive with over-inflated tires, but if Ford is sending them out with tire pressures well above their recommended specifications, you'd think that they'd include reducing the pressure to recommended levels in the delivery notes.

Additionally, almost every shop seems to go with the maximum tire pressure from the sidewalls over Ford's specification, as well. Maybe they ignore the specifications from the door jam because they assume the larger all-terrain tires are aftermarket and assume the factory spec might not be applicable? :shrug: Be sure to double-check that you're not running 40-50 psi before bombing down gravel roads in excess of highway speeds, especially if someone else has worked on the truck recently – unless you happen to really enjoy patching tires. In my experience, puncture rates rise exponentially as the tire pressure increases. In my experience (which includes getting my first irreparable tear at 4k miles, and having completely ruined all 6 (the original 5, plus the 4k mile replacement tire) tires by 11k, via a mixture of not picking low enough pressures early on, driving the majority of those miles off-pavement, and never passing up an opportunity to go around a turn sideways, all carrying a lot of weight nearly all the time – I replaced the tires with Load Range E KM3s (moving to the higher load range because we're virtually always carrying a bunch of extra weight – and the move to mud terrains made a lot of sense for us since we live in an area with clay soil and lots of mud, and all-terrains are effectively racing slicks after about 5 seconds in clay mud), and have stuck with using lower pressures whenever going anywhere other than only paved roads, and after another 11k miles, I still have juuust shy of 1/2" of tread depth left all around (the KM3s started with ≈0.55-0.6" of thread, whereas the stock KO2s started around 0.515", if I recall, so they had a little more tread to start with (if that seemed absurd to have only used up nearly zero tread life, that's why). That is despite maintaining the high cargo loads and the regular (off-pavement) wheel spin – don't expect much tire longevity if you're doing burnouts on asphalt all day, haha). I haven't needed to patch a single one of the KM3s yet, either (when I retired them, two of the KO2s had a literal dozen patches in them, and the others weren't too far behind :Big Laugh:).

Basically, I've found that when in doubt, go with the lower end of the pressures you're considering. Lower pressures don't only help prevent punctures, but significantly reduce tire wear when driving off-pavement, particularly with regard to 'chunking' (i.e. large pieces of the tire tread breaking off all at once). Maybe don't rock 12 psi tires on the interstate, haha, but I've experimented fairly extensively, and have never seen the tires come anywhere becoming getting too hot, nor experienced any significant loss of stability, when running pressures down to the low-to-mid 20s (and on highways in poorer condition, the truck was more stable when running lower pressures), even on mountainous and curvy freeways, or on Texas' freeways with posted 80 & 85mph limits (i.e. a typical actual traffic speed around 85-95mph). Sure, you will not get quite as good of fuel economy (a Raptor is not the best choice if fuel economy is a high priority, regardless, haha), and your normal tire wear rate will likely be slightly faster, but if you're driving a route that transitions back and forth between unpaved and paved roads, and you don't want to stop and inflate or deflate your tires every few minutes, I've found it best to go with the pressure would be ideal for whatever the toughest terrain you'll be facing on that drive happens to be (unless that terrain is deep mud/sand/etc. where you might want pressures in the teens or below, then maybe get it back up to at least 20 before any longer stretches on the road :)).
Damn, that‘s a lot to read. You sure have a lot on your mind…can you sum it up? Lmao…jk.

maor_b3

Reaction score
This is my first Raptor, so I’m not privy to all of the little quirks in these trucks. I’m also one of those guys that hears and feels EVERYTHING in my vehicles. It drives me nuts sometimes.

When I picked my truck up the tires were at almost 50 psi (is this some sort of joke dealers like to play on people?), so I figured I’d feel every dip and divot on my ride home. Today after I brought the tires down to 38/37 I drove around for awhile and can still feel a little rattle in the gas pedal when going over manhole covers and small bumps. I also thought I heard something rubbing when turning fully right in a parking lot, but couldn’t recreate it afterwards. The alignment is straight, no squeaks or audible rattles/bangs while driving.

It’s a 35 w/801A. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their new truck, or am I just being overly sensitive about it?
I have the same issue, got the truck at 50 psi and the rattling noise is driving me crazy! Did you figure it out? Or it got better over time?
My truck has only 500 miles on it