Anyone else blown a front drivers hub???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a fun weekend in Ocotillo. Mixture of 2wd and 4wd. Nothing too hard because I'm a pansie. So we drive home Sunday. No problems. Monday Tuesday Wednesday no problems. Thursday morning we get on the freeway heading to Palm Springs and my front drivers side wheel well starts making a horrible sound like someone threw a handful of rocks in a washing machine. I turn around and go straight to the dealer a few miles away. On the drive over there I made a few observations:
1)noise was only happening once I topped 1500 RPM
2) didn't happen when I was in park and above 1500 RPM.
3) no warning or CEL lights came on.

I dropped it of at the dealer Thursday AM. For a call Friday PM that it's my drivers side hub. The guy at the dealer was cool and said he's not going to report this to Ford because they WILL deny my claim based on my 37s. He said truck is designed for 35s. I said a hub can blow on any size wheel. The guy swiftly reminded me that they are covering this is a warranty repair, so chill. Which I did.

Have any of you had a blown hub before?? What was the outcome? How did it happen???

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1ntheoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it, but at least it didn't cost you anything. While I doubt the 37's were the direct cause, I'd imagine the added weight and size of the tire, combined with some spirited offroading weakened a part that was probably going to go out later anyway...

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have replaced 4 as of last week, both sides, right more than left. Stock wheels and tire size. 45,000 miles.

Last edited:

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Lost one. Covered. Got he axle too. Told the dealer its the hub guts and they do the axle first? OK. Its fixed so far.

BDRAG

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably not the hub that broke but the plastic vacuum line that makes the hub stay out of 4 wheel drive. when you loose vacuum the hub try's to engage. When there is not enough vacuum to keep the hub from staying out of engagement mode it starts rubbing the gears between the actuator and the hub making the sound you heard.
One of the areas the plastic vacuum line is vulnerable is on the passenger side just behind the shock tower on top. There is an exposed area of line that is close to the exhaust. The plastic line gets brittle and can crack causing the vacuum to leak. Make sure you have them check the lines also at the dealer. A new actuator or hub won't make much of a difference if the line is still cracked or broken.

OP
OP
jackrook

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's probably not the hub that broke but the plastic vacuum line that makes the hub stay out of 4 wheel drive. when you loose vacuum the hub try's to engage. When there is not enough vacuum to keep the hub from staying out of engagement mode it starts rubbing the gears between the actuator and the hub making the sound you heard. One of the areas the plastic vacuum line is vulnerable is on the passenger side just behind the shock tower on top. There is an exposed area of line that is close to the exhaust. The plastic line gets brittle and can crack causing the vacuum to leak. Make sure you have them check the lines also at the dealer. A new actuator or hub won't make much of a difference if the line is still cracked or broken.

Just picked up my truck right now. Turns out it was a blown vacuum line. It wasn't adjusted when my 37s were installed and it just got worn away from rubbing. Now they've tucked it away on both wheel wells and I shouldn't have an issue.

Feels so good to be back in my baby.

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably not the hub that broke but the plastic vacuum line that makes the hub stay out of 4 wheel drive. when you loose vacuum the hub try's to engage. When there is not enough vacuum to keep the hub from staying out of engagement mode it starts rubbing the gears between the actuator and the hub making the sound you heard.
One of the areas the plastic vacuum line is vulnerable is on the passenger side just behind the shock tower on top. There is an exposed area of line that is close to the exhaust. The plastic line gets brittle and can crack causing the vacuum to leak. Make sure you have them check the lines also at the dealer. A new actuator or hub won't make much of a difference if the line is still cracked or broken.

I think I may have this issue. I have the noise intermittently on the passenger side, and replaced the hub and heard it again soon after. However, it isn't all of the time - I'm going to peek my head under there tomorrow and check that line. Thanks for the tip!

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
check all your vacuum lines. from hub to solenoid. id suggest getting a vacuum gauge so you can test them.
i ended up fixing my 4wd problem. Rcv axles, dormann hubs, dormann iwe actuator and now working on a steel braid to wrap the line in. Last year it was -38c and my vacuum line just broke in half.. lol.