Any reason to take a perfectly good truck to dealer for a "check up"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
KNOCK ON WOOD

Bought my August 2018 build truck in November 2018. 17 months and 26,*** miles and the truck has been perfect. I do oil changes every 5-7k miles, and rotate the tires (5) at the same time.

Is there any TSB's or something I should at least have the dealer look at? My transmission has the hard 5th gear upshift in sport mode, but not bad enough for me to ever worry about it.

I have ignored the recall for the door lock issue, as it has not impacted me at all.

Stay away from dealer, of take it in for a "check up"?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My transmission has the hard 5th gear upshift in sport mode, but not bad enough for me to ever worry about it.

The early 10 speeds had several programming updates, but, you have to complain about them to get the updates, otherwise if you ask for the latest updates, they connect, it reads out “ok” and they say you are “up to date” or current, but you’re actually not. Your truck is probably not as drastically affected as Lucille, a late 2016 build, but I found the revised programming much more responsive to part throttle input, rather than trying to boost her way out of any part throttle situation.

I have ignored the recall for the door lock issue, as it has not impacted me at all.
Probably best to get this done once and for all. word of caution, if you added sound insulation, verify door function before you leave the dealer.

It’s not a bad plan to put some other eyes on your truck periodically, stealership, trusted mechanic, what have you.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they aren't going to do anything but look around without getting your signed consent first. You don't seem to be the type that's going to take the dealership's word that something should be fixed now to avoid future problems later, so unlikely you'll get fooled into doing something you don't need. They may come up with something that is an actual issue that is under warranty though, so there's a chance of something positive.

My plan is to bring it in a month or two before the standard warranty is up for a checkup.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Knock on wood

I made my first visit to dealer service this past Saturday after 18 months of ownership.

I got a suspension rattle that I have deduced to being the endlinks. They looked at it. The SA came out later and wanted to know how I knew that and wanted to hire me on the spot lol

Gotta go back in because they have to order the endlinks. I got two open recalls (interior insulation and block heater) but probably won’t get the insulation done.

Might be a good idea to have someone look at the truck but our last 2 cars have never been to the dealer for service.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I wonder if there are statistics for dealer serviced cars and their reliability/longevity.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding tire rotation, you're rotating the spare, correct? Does that have a TPMS sensor? Also, do we need to reprogram the sensors when we rotate them or is it self learning?

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regarding tire rotation, you're rotating the spare, correct? Does that have a TPMS sensor? Also, do we need to reprogram the sensors when we rotate them or is it self learning?

FOMOCO TPMS sensor from amazon. Get it mounted in the spare. Have to balence the spare anyway, Ford cheaps out and do not balence the spare.

The cars computer will figure everything out in about 10 miles. No need to reprogram anything.

ADY

Reaction score
I'm a fan of complaining of vague transmission and engine issues (sporadic delayed/hard shifts, sporadic rough idle, etc) while still under the factory warranty. The "sporadic" is key b/c they will inspect and attempt to replicate but won't fix anything and it is then a permanent record that you can go back to if issues surface later on. I did this on my Acura and got a new transmission at 89k miles (of course Ford corporate is not as forgiving and customer centric as Acura). That said, I complained when I recently got the valve cover replacement TSB that my sunroof was creaking and on the way home I tried to open the sunroof and it jammed and wouldn't open... so definitely can end up leaving with more issues then you had going in.