GEN 2 Another Gen 2 traded...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like my next Raptor will be a Gen 3 - if and when prices calm down in a couple of years. I bought a brand new Lead Foot Screw 800a in November of 2020 and paid $56k for it. Since then I put 15k miles on it, and I traded it in this afternoon for $70k. I traded it for an Explorer ST (D-plan pricing as a Lincoln employee), and I plan on driving that until I can get back into a Raptor. That was just too much instant equity for me to turn down. So put me on the list of those hoping that prices eventually settle back down so I can get a Gen 3.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the data. This is a really interesting time. I think the most relevant question is "What will the replacement vehicle be worth when it's Raptor time again?" Maybe after the numbers settle out, you keep all or almost all of the equity you cashed out of the Raptor. It's also possible that the replacement vehicle might depreciate enough to lose some or all of the equity. I don't think anybody knows for sure. I don't blame anyone for making a move right now. Personally, I'm not yet convinced that I would be doing anything except driving a less fun vehicle for a year or more. And I also may be missing the opportunity of a lifetime. Who knows.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the data. This is a really interesting time. I think the most relevant question is "What will the replacement vehicle be worth when it's Raptor time again?" Maybe after the numbers settle out, you keep all or almost all of the equity you cashed out of the Raptor. It's also possible that the replacement vehicle might depreciate enough to lose some or all of the equity. I don't think anybody knows for sure. I don't blame anyone for making a move right now. Personally, I'm not yet convinced that I would be doing anything except driving a less fun vehicle for a year or more. And I also may be missing the opportunity of a lifetime. Who knows.
It's hard to imagine that you're missing an opportunity. I'm gonna sit tight since there's nothing I'd rather drive. Life it too short to pinch pennies.

OP
OP
V

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to know what to do, and I can't say that the decision I made was 'right' or 'wrong', but an objective look at the actual numbers seems to indicate it was a wise decision (purely from a buy low sell high perspective). And if there's one thing I've learned through years of buying and selling performance cars (and now a truck), it's that there is always another car.

The bottom line is that I somehow made $14k on a depreciating asset in just under 6 months. And who knows, I may lose all of that equity on the ST, though that's unlikely since I financed for 48 months. In any event, it is definitely an interesting time that we are living in. I am definitely a Ford guy all the way, so there will be another Raptor in my future!

TroyyyB

Reaction score
Can't blame your decision making V8 Goat.. sounds like you scored a sweet deal when you bought your Raptor (Being a Lincoln Employee I would assumed helped) and sold a depreciating asset with a 14K increase - 25% return. Well done.
I would question what the future cost would be to get back into a 'new' raptor.. but as a 'Lincoln' employee eventually (in a couple years) you'll probably come across another deal.

OP
OP
V

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get new for $56k? I bought mine same time and never saw a deal close to that.
It was an 800a, so MSRP was only $58k. As far an being a Lincoln employee, there are no special deals or employee discounts for specialty vehicles - Raptor, Shelby, Roush, etc.