Am I missing something? Light price rant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know,

Look around your house. 90% of what you own comes from overseas.

The whole "buy American" and keep our country working vs. buying imported products and send jobs overseas argument aside...

If there is a real benefit of spending big money for Rigid or similar lighting, why doesn't Rigid do a video and tear down one of their lights vs. the Chinese equivalent and show the differences in build quality and performance.

That's a video I think everyone would want to see. And if the American products are truly worth the higher price tag, doing so would help them sell a bunch of lights.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...If there is a real benefit of spending big money for Rigid or similar lighting, why doesn't Rigid do a video and tear down one of their lights vs. the Chinese equivalent and show the differences in build quality and performance.

That's a video I think everyone would want to see. And if the American products are truly worth the higher price tag, doing so would help them sell a bunch of lights.

I think I can guess why they don't make that video. Which is why I recommend buying the cheaper light.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be in for that video too. How hard would it be to make though? I'll contribute a rigid to the teardown.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the comparison vid is a good idea... and I think a 3rd party teardown video would be best, so that it is unbiased.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
he5uvede.jpg

Here are my "Epic" branded lights that uses the same components as Rigid... Just like most of the off-brands. $400 and some change for each bar.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the real question is more along the lines of failures. Has anyone on this forum ever had a failure of a Chinese light? I know I'm not the only one who has sent lights back to Rigid for repair...

If my life depended on my lights I'd have a box full of backups wrapped in bubble wrap on hand for my US assembled lights. I haven't seen the quality that they tout on their box or advertising in real life yet.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen any complaints from Baja designs, why doesn't anyone bring them or vision x up? I think those two are much better companies than rigid, I personally wouldn't purchase rigid lights either, but more because they don't bring anything amazing to the table when compared to vision x or Baja designs than because of their price or quality

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 rigid bars 2 6.7 visionx light cannons and 10 Baja designs lights. And the Baja and vision x are better quality and their optics are much better than rigid. And I also have Chinese lights. Personal opinion if someone likes rigid, look at bullydog lighting they are the same thing but cheaper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really like the baja designs light squadrons, but I need about 8 of them for my front bumper. That will cost me way more than I'm willing to spend since I won't use them very often. Has anyone seen anything with a similar design that is cheaper?