Alright, talk me out of it…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMSearle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted a similar question in the Gen 3 forum asking to be talked into switching but forgot to add that I’m at the point of needing new tires as well.

Here we go…

Had a 2011 Gen 1 SCAB and now have a Leadfoot 2018 802A SCREW that I got for an absolute steal at invoice. No upgrades aside from Method Roosts, pedal commander and tonneau cover. Out of warranty at 46k miles. Cam phasers replaced, 21B10 done a week ago. Love the truck but at the point of needing shocks rebuilt/upgraded. She’s a pavement princess and daily driver.

I really have no reason to upgrade as I love my current truck and it’s beyond adequate for my needs but don’t want to miss out on maximizing the current value of my truck, I do love the idea of that 5 link rear suspension and I have two dealers willing to do MSRP - one has a 35 and one has a 37.

Mine will be paid off in 2 years, Raptor R is out of my price range but I do wonder if there will be a powerboost option in a few years that would pique my interest.

What do I do? Tune and upgrade suspension of mine or make the jump to the Gen 3?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If you think you need new shocks at 46k miles, it's probably because you read it on the internet. My 18 has 86k and the shocks still work great, like you, I don't get offroad much. I do have another set waiting to go on, by I don't see the need yet.

If you want a new one, no need to make excuses, just get one, if you can find it for a decent price. We won't judge. :) Your 18 will be worth more than normal for the foreseeable future. You are among the haves, not the have nots. That's a great place to be.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted a similar question in the Gen 3 forum asking to be talked into switching but forgot to add that I’m at the point of needing new tires as well.

Here we go…

Had a 2011 Gen 1 SCAB and now have a Leadfoot 2018 802A SCREW that I got for an absolute steal at invoice. No upgrades aside from Method Roosts, pedal commander and tonneau cover. Out of warranty at 46k miles. Cam phasers replaced, 21B10 done a week ago. Love the truck but at the point of needing shocks rebuilt/upgraded. She’s a pavement princess and daily driver.

I really have no reason to upgrade as I love my current truck and it’s beyond adequate for my needs but don’t want to miss out on maximizing the current value of my truck, I do love the idea of that 5 link rear suspension and I have two dealers willing to do MSRP - one has a 35 and one has a 37.

Mine will be paid off in 2 years, Raptor R is out of my price range but I do wonder if there will be a powerboost option in a few years that would pique my interest.

What do I do? Tune and upgrade suspension of mine or make the jump to the Gen 3?

wish we could talk you out of it but why.

lol. that was me. I bought my 18 exactly 3 yrs ago. well dec 22nd. 2018. Now I got the deal. $4500 under MSRP. because they also had 11 - 2019's come in within the same week. they wanted to move the 18'. Just excellent timing for me. I just ordered the new one for the exact same reason. trying to get the most I can for mine. will be paid off in a yr. with only 36k miles on it now. pretty much want the tailgate step, power tailgate, onboard generator, 5 link and live shocks. SO GO FOR IT. I am and so are so many others for the same reasons.

OP
OP
CMSearle2

CMSearle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think you need new shocks at 46k miles, it's probably because you read it on the internet. My 18 has 86k and the shocks still work great, like you, I don't get offroad much. I do have another set waiting to go on, by I don't see the need yet.

If you want a new one, no need to make excuses, just get one, if you can find it for a decent price. We won't judge. :) Your 18 will be worth more than normal for the foreseeable future. You are among the haves, not the have nots. That's a great place to be.
Good to know about the shocks, guess I just meant I’m at the point now where I am going to have to start putting money into this with tires, brakes and eventually suspension upgrades/updates.

And I’m well aware these are first world problems for sure haha.

OP
OP
CMSearle2

CMSearle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish we could talk you out of it but why.

lol. that was me. I bought my 18 exactly 3 yrs ago. well dec 22nd. 2018. Now I got the deal. $4500 under MSRP. because they also had 11 - 2019's come in within the same week. they wanted to move the 18'. Just excellent timing for me. I just ordered the new one for the exact same reason. trying to get the most I can for mine. will be paid off in a yr. with only 36k miles on it now. pretty much want the tailgate step, power tailgate, onboard generator, 5 link and live shocks. SO GO FOR IT. I am and so are so many others for the same reasons.
I figured I wasn’t the only one. Appreciate the feedback.

I got my 2018 in late August, like a week before the 2019 allocations started rolling out. They had 5 2018’s on the lot, had only sold 2 others that whole year and I had all the leverage.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get a 37" package at MSRP that would be hard to pass up. Going to retain value very well, and while I don't think it's as big of as upgrade as other members may say, it is still an upgrade no doubt. Best of luck

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if money is no issue and you dont mind having the payment for another few years, then go for it. With the equity you have in your truck it might just be worth it to upgrade if you can that 37 at MSRP! Did you trade your Gen1 in for the Gen2?

Get some numbers crunched and report back!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whenever I feel like I just have to have the latest and greatest whatever is, I let it sit for a couple weeks or so. Sometimes I still want it, but I'm more confident that's it a logical decision rather than just emotion. A lot of times, I come to my senses.

I thought that way about the Gen 3, but I really didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering, waiting, waiting more, concerned that used values will drop, etc. I don't need more stress. Very glad I didn't get on the train.

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends how much you can get for your Gen 2 and how much the particular Gen 3 truck you are looking at is. Some people always leave out the registration/tax fees when calculating the switch from a Gen 2 to a 3.

I know it can vary is some states, since you can get a tax break if you trade in the car. However, here in CA for example, if I bought the truck for $70k, it'd probably be roughly $79k after fees/taxes. A new Gen 3 at $75k would probably be around $83k after fees/taxes.

If you could even break even at $70k for your truck, you would be around $22k extra to jump into the next gen truck.

There are def a ton of perks for going with the current Gen 3, but it just depends if that extra cost is worth it to you. The other benefit of the Gen 3 that we won't be able to tell right now is that it'll most likely hold its value better than the Gen 2 since it is newer.

I think at around closer to $15k difference, it'd be somewhat worthwhile to me personally. If it closer to around $30k difference, I would personally definitely not be interested in switching. At that price difference, I can get another car for that amount. You could possibly have a Gen 1 Raptor for that price and have both a Gen 2 and 1 for the cost of a 3.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like was posted above. If you can get a 37 Package at MSRP BUY IT.

Sam