Air Conditioning - not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braaptor37

Reaction score
When I was at the Raptor Assault the instructor told us not to run the AC on Max AC and full fan. He said it’s a know issue and it freezes up in this condition. Not sure if this is your issue, but thought I’d make comment.
That’s bc slow speed not much air being moved around the vehicle. That old man told us the same thing, I ignored it, and most of everything else he said.

houtex1

Reaction score
Recently got the truck back from service. I was told the recirculating door assembly took a dump. $51 in parts, 0ver $1400 in labor.

Apologies. I'm in the wrong gen forum.

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me. Evap freeze over. Turn off the AC and keep fan on high. After 5-10 min you’ll feel the air coming out full speed again. Wait a little bit then cut the AC back on and it should work fine.

If you start out in morning and run on low fan speed i think ice builds blocking airflow . Turning compressor off will allow it to melt .

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The icing is due to the A/C getting too cold at highway speeds on really humid days. There is nothing "wrong" with it other than poor calibration/control of the sysytem. I've had it happen on GMs and Fords. Let it sit for a few hours and there will be a huge wet spot under the car/truck once it finally melts out.

I'd be really suprised if anyone has ever had this happen in slow city traffic or with the truck parked/idling. In that situation, you are heat soaking the firewall and raising the temp of the airbox that is bolted to it. All of the A/C lines underhood are way hotter too compared to a long highway trip. The system won't ice up due to the heat added to the system.

The engineers have to walk the tightrope of making the evaporator coil run cold enough to cool the truck when it's stopped on a 120 degree day- but not so cold that it freezes up on a super humid day when you are ramming 85+ MPH air over the condensor and the system is working at it's peak efficency. Oh, and do it cheap too.

As was said above, running the A/C on re-circ will stop it from happening since you aren't condensing so much water in the box, but who wants to run recirc for hours on end?

Ford needs to control their A/C better IMO. A variable speed compressor would be a nice start. After driving a vehicle with that setup- it sure is nice not to feel/hear the compressor kick on and off constantly.

I think Ford also needs to put a 2nd temp probe on the actual condensor core in the airbox instead of just the one mounted in the plastic of the airbox 6" away from the core. Not sure why they think that one temp probe is good enough to tell the compressor to turn off before it gets to icing the core- but it obviously isn't.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is so weak, it blasts for the entirety of whichever trip we're on, long or short, fast or slow speeds, it doesn't matter. It's just crap.

As I mentioned before, my Mustang is a literal refrigerator in seconds, as well as my wife's Lincoln (about the only thing that works on that POS.)

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Mine froze up a few times last summer when it was new. Switch over to heat for a minute or two and air started moving again.
I started using the Auto function and it hasn't happened since. Now instead of jumping in the truck putting it on max, I just fiddle with the temp controller knob every now and then, but I usually keep it between "lo" and 70'ish. Works great.

RollTigers

Reaction score
When I was at the Raptor Assault the instructor told us not to run the AC on Max AC and full fan. He said it’s a know issue and it freezes up in this condition. Not sure if this is your issue, but thought I’d make comment.
How was the Raptor Assault?? Is it worth it? My wife and I are doing the Mach 1 attack at Charlotte Motor Speedway in late August. Super excited.

My A/C hasn’t had anymore issues.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the eval coil could freeze up from low freon ,combined with a low fan speed .low freon lowers the pressure ,and since temp and pressure r cousins = freeze up condition