Air Compressor and other essentials recommendation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Another nice to have is an iPhone 14pro- it gives you 2 years of satellite emergency communication and you don’t need a gear in anymore.
if you get serious about communications you can get a license and install a ham radio with aprs ~ this would allow your fan to track you on aprs.fi
I just heard about the satellite emergency in the iPhone. I’m not familiar at all with how it works.
The biggest advantage of the In-Reach, IMHO, is the ability to communicate with SAR. Have worked SAR for a little bit, it can be the difference between life and death knowing what they are responding to in the SAR call. CPR in progress vs broken leg on a ledge requiring Rope Rescue. If you know how to set up a helicopter LZ for them, if needed, you can communicate that information and advise on an LZ. An emergency ping with a location is just that, a mystery.
Years back by best friend was on a GC 14 Day River Trip. Luckily it was with a reputable Guide Service. One of the rafters suffered some head trauma. Again luck was in his favor, an ER Doc was also on the trip. He stabilized him, used an Sat-Phone to arrange the Helo extract.
I‘m not up on the current Sat-phone situation. When we were considering it the phones had become affordable, $2-$3 a minute, not a issue, but…you had to purchase the minutes in a block AND THEY EXPIRED- deal breaker, I’ll pay $3 a minute but not when they expire.
Hopefully that has changed, if so a Sat-phone would be outstanding.