After 1 Year of Owning a Leadfoot 802A SCREW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borzraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I bought my truck I was shopping around for performance cars - c63s, m3s and such. Ultimately at that time I decided to go with the Raptor because I figured it would be good in the winter as we get a decent amount of snow here in VA sometimes and because it held value pretty well. After owning it for about a year, I can say I really like the truck. However, my judgement is cloudy and it's hard to justify keeping this thing long term because it's not the most fun thing to drive on road. Yeah you can punch it from light to light but being a truck it's got some decent body roll and you can definitely feel the weight. If steering was a bit more direct then maybe it would be a little sportier but at the end of the day that is not what this truck is intended for. Though it does perform pretty good on road for any vehicle let a lone a truck. Therefore if some of you are looking to get something that is going to be fun to drive on the road most of the time, I wouldn't buy a Raptor to be honest. You're better off with an SRT Jeep or a Trackhawk if not a German SUV/Crossover. I will say that this is my first pickup because I've never really been a pickup guy and it's by far the only pickup I'd ever buy! Oh, forgot to mention that this thing is unstoppable off-road. It's scary just how good it really is!! Anyways, hope some of you found this to be helpful!!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Before I bought my truck I was shopping around for performance cars - c63s, m3s and such. Ultimately at that time I decided to go with the Raptor because I figured it would be good in the winter as we get a decent amount of snow here in VA sometimes and because it held value pretty well. After owning it for about a year, I can say I really like the truck. However, my judgement is cloudy and it's hard to justify keeping this thing long term because it's not the most fun thing to drive on road. Yeah you can punch it from light to light but being a truck it's got some decent body roll and you can definitely feel the weight. If steering was a bit more direct then maybe it would be a little sportier but at the end of the day that is not what this truck is intended for. Though it does perform pretty good on road for any vehicle let a lone a truck. Therefore if some of you are looking to get something that is going to be fun to drive on the road most of the time, I wouldn't buy a Raptor to be honest. You're better off with an SRT Jeep or a Trackhawk if not a German SUV/Crossover. I will say that this is my first pickup because I've never really been a pickup guy and it's by far the only pickup I'd ever buy! Oh, forgot to mention that this thing is unstoppable off-road. It's scary just how good it really is!! Anyways, hope some of you found this to be helpful!!

It sounds like you definitely belong in a car. Being a lifelong truck driver, the Raptor has little to no body roll, comparatively speaking. I've seen people post that before, but now it's clear to me they have not spent much time in a truck. You have reinforced that. The other cars that you mention are different tools for different jobs. Some of us have to have a truck for work, or whatever, and no other truck even comes close, it is the most fun you will have on 4 wheels with the ability to haul some dirt bikes or other junk when needed.

If you're a car guy and want a truck that's a sports car, you probably won't be happy. It sounds like maybe your trying to convince yourself it's okay to move on after a failed experiment. It's all good.

WhiteRaptor88

Reaction score
Similar background as op coming from various performance euro sedans , but now I actually need a truck . Having driven a ton of tundras and tacoma's I can attest to the little to no body roll. Ater finally driving a 2011 screw - its such a significant improvement. I don't see it getting old , but that's just me . On a side note I guess the plus side is the value retention - if you want to get back out of one . Best of luck

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am coming up on my 1 year mark as well. My last few cars were all sporty in nature.

2015 Audi SQ5 (8 speed dual clutch)
2015 Ford Mustang GT 6 speed
2013 Ford SHO auto
2006 Volvo S60r 6 speed
2000 Audi A6 2.7t 6 speed

To me, the Raptor is a truck, is a truck, is a truck. i have never owned another truck so i can't compare it to any other truck. but when I think of a truck, this is what I expect.

I couldn't drive a truck that was so big and slow it could not get out of it's own way. And what good is a truck if you can't stomp on some mud every now and then.

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of these threads are you going to post? It seems like you have the means, just dump the truck already and move on

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been in my Gen 1 now for a year and I still love everything about it. Being in NV about 92% of the state is public land that's open for off-roading so that helps.

But everyone's experience is different that's why they come in so many varieties.
Whatever makes you happy is right for you!!

Gregory Hoeve

Reaction score
I've owned and driven many trucks, Dodge diesel duallys, tundras, a few mini trucks back when I was young and broke...... To say the Raptor is "just a truck" is like saying the Ford GT is just another car.

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
There's no doubt anyone can and has the right to be disappointed with any purchase they make...hell, I've been there. When it comes to the Raptor, I feel the majority of the disappointed owners come from prior ownership of high performance cars. To expect a 6,000lb+ truck to perform on road like some of these high end performance cars/suvs is F'in crazy too me.

Geographic location (not everyone but a lot) seems to play a huge role in owner disappointment too. This is because those owners have never experienced what the Raptor was designed for...high speed off-road performance. FYI...jumping the curb at Starbuck's or taking on a speed bump at the mall doesn't count. No one, and I mean no one can take this truck off-road, high speed and be disappointed (err, maybe true trophy truck drivers) with it. I'm in Buzzard2's territory of Nevada and I can tell you I go faster on the dirt then the highway/freeway I drove on to get to my off-road destination (with A/C blasting and ventilated seats) and teeth intact'd...that's insane! Drive this truck for what it's intended for and you won't ever not own Raptor! If your still disappointed after that, turn your key fob in, get that awd Audi or Benz and let the Raptor go to another home where it will be better utilized/appreciated!